Low Carb Keto Cottage Cheese Jello Ring
The other day, I was struck by an image.
It's a picture that was taken in 1974, on the day that Richard Nixon resigned. (below) For reasons unknown, the White House photographer took a picture of Nixon's last lunch as president. Someone at NPR described it as "so sad, austere, stately, funny". And I agree, but my overwhelming feeling when I saw it was "that looks absolutely DELICIOUS!".
Now that I'm on a low carb diet, I miss pineapple so much!
And I love the pineapple/ cottage cheese combo. The two were made for each other. So I had to come up with a low carb substitute. It was a low carb imperative.
And, as is so often the case, Sugar Free Jello came to the rescue.
I made a Jello ring out of lemon Jello and then filled it with full fat cottage cheese. Problem solved! The lemon Jello is the perfect compliment to the creamy cottage cheese. And the meal clocks in at only 116 calories and 4g net carbs. Not too shabby, if I do say.
But enough talk, I have a delicious lunch to attend to.
Low Carb Cottage Cheese Jello Ring
- 3 (.3 oz) boxes Sugar Free Jello, any flavor
- 1 3/4 cup boiling water
- 2 cup ice water
- 2 cups full fat small curd cottage cheese
1. The easiest thing to do it to skip the jello mold and make up the Jello using the package instructions.
2. But if you decide to go with a Jello mold, you'll need to start by measuring how much water will fit in your mold. Then divide that amount by 1 1/4 cup. That will tell you how many packages of Jello you'll need, since each box of Jello needs 1 1/4 cup water.
3. Dissolve Jello powder in boiling water. You should use about half of the total water for the recipe.
4. Make up a mixture of ice and water to equal the remaining water. Mix with the dissolved Jello.
5. Add to a Jello mold.
6. Cover and refrigerate about 1 hour or until firm.
7. Put a plate on top of the Jello mold and invert. Jiggle it slightly to release from the mold.
8. Fill the center with cottage cheese.
PREP TIME: 5 MIN COOK TIME: 5 MIN
CHILL TIME: 1 HR
NUTRITIONAL INFO: Calories 116 Fat 5g Protein 13g Carb 4g Fiber 0g Net Carbs 4g