Low Carb Keto Lasagna with Yellow Squash Noodles
"Thank Good-ness for Chef Boy-ah-dee!"
I've been making Italian food so this jingle has been stuck in my head all morning. And now, I give it to you (below). It's only fair. But I'll give you the recipe too, to make it even.
This low carb version of lasagna uses yellow squash instead of noodles, so it's only got 10g of carbohydrate per (large) serving. So "if you want to watch out for fat and things like that" then this is the recipe for you.
But you should start by deciding your level of commitment.
If you are in an all day lasagna mood, like I was, then you should make your own bolognese sauce. I based this low carb bolognese sauce on a classic recipe that I found on Bon Appétit. But if you don't have an extra three hours, then you can just use a jar of store bought tomato sauce. No judgement.
Once you've settled on a sauce, you need to cut the yellow squash into thin slices. Salt them and then sandwich them between paper towels to drain the liquid out. Add something heavy on top to help squeeze out more liquid. Leave it be for 15 minutes to drain.
Next is the fun part. It's time to layer your lasagna. Start with a layer of squash, then add sauce, and cheese. Then repeat.
Bake it for an hour, and then Voila! You've got yourself some low carb lasagna. It'll be as gooey and cheesy as the real thing, but without all the carbs.
Who would have thought?
Low Carb Lasagna with Yellow Squash Noodles
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup shallots, diced
- 1 cup red bell peppers, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 3 cups beef stock, divided
- 3 tablespoons. tomato paste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 large yellow squash
- 2 cups shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
For the Bolognese Sauce:
1. Heat oil in a large heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add garlic, shallots and peppers. Sauté until soft, 4-5 minutes.
2. Add beef and sauté, breaking up with the back of a spoon, until browned, about 5 minutes.
3. Add wine; boil 1 minute, stirring often and scraping up browned bits.
4. Add 2 1/2 cups stock and tomato paste; stir to blend. Reduce heat to very low and gently simmer, stirring occasionally, until flavors meld, 1 1/2 hours. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Bring cream and water to a simmer in a small saucepan; gradually add to sauce.
6. Cover sauce with lid slightly ajar and simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until cream is absorbed, about 45 minutes, adding more stock by 1/4-cupfuls to thin if needed.
For the Layers:
7. Cut the yellow squash lengthwise into thin slices. Salt them and then sandwich them between paper towels to drain the liquid out. Add something heavy on top to help squeeze out more liquid. Leave it be for 15 minutes to drain.
8. Time to layer the lasagna. Use a greased 8x12 casserole dish. Make a layer of yellow squash.
9. Add a layer of sauce, then a layer of cheese.
10. Repeat until you are out of ingredients.
11. Cover with aluminum foil and cook in a 375 degree F oven for 30 minutes.
12. Remove the foil and cook for another 25 minutes.
13. Let cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.
PREP TIME: 25 MIN COOK TIME: 3 HR
NUTRITIONAL INFO: Calories 498 Fat 28g Protein 65g Carb 7g Fiber 2g Net Carbs 5g