Low Carb Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup
Here's something you might get a kick out of.
I was trying to find a video of "It's Not Easy Being Green" in honor of today's broccoli soup recipe. That didn't pan out, but I found something much much better. It's Debbie Harry's special guest appearance on The Muppet Show in 1980 (below). She and Kermit sing "The Rainbow Connection" as an adorable duet. I love the part where Kermit asks, "Have you been half asleep and have you heard voices?" and Debbie Harry nods dreamily and sings "I've heard them calling my name.". She has to be the world's most lovable space case.
But enough daydreaming, let's talk broccoli soup.
This soup is one of those magical "30 minutes or less" meals. It's like- chop broccoli, boil broccoli, add cheese, and you're done. Easy. But writing about broccoli soup is kind of boring so now let's get back to daydreaming.
Because someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers and me.
Low Carb Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups broccoli, cut into florets
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and broken into bits (optional)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese for garnish
1. In a large soup pot, saute the garlic in butter for 1 minute over medium heat.
2. Add the broth, heavy cream, and chopped broccoli. Increase heat to bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10-12 minutes, until broccoli is tender.
3. Add the shredded cheddar cheese gradually, stirring constantly, and continue to stir until melted. Make sure to keep it at a very low simmer and avoid high heat, to prevent seizing. As soon as the cheese is entirely melted, remove the pot from the heat.
4. Add the soup to a blender and pulse several times until you reach the desired consistency.
5. Serve in bowls with shredded cheese and bacon bits sprinkled on top.
PREP TIME: 5 MIN COOK TIME: 20 MIN
NUTRITIONAL INFO: Calories 385 Total Fat 32g Protein 19g Carbs 5g Fiber 1g Net Carbs 4g