Low Carb Keto Candied Bacon Wrapped Onion Rings
Today we're going to make bacon wrapped onion rings, so I thought I should start with a video from the Onion. (below)
The Onion is, of course, a parody newspaper that makes fun of just about everyone.
They've got a whole slew of cooking videos now. This one is cooking lesson on how to sharpen your knife with your sword. "If you can't make it to Japan, just consult your local blacksmith or your son's weird friend." It's really funny.
But on to candied bacon wrapped onion rings.
These onion rings make the perfect snack. I'm thinking game day food here. Or a Game of Thrones marathon, depending on your taste in television. And they're easy to make. Just dip a slice of bacon in sugar-free sweetener, wrap it around an onion ring and bake it. Soon you'll have a bacon-y treat with only 2g net carbs per ring.
And just remember, "When in doubt, you can always use your sword in the kitchen."
Low Carb Candied Bacon Wrapped Onion Rings
- cooking spray
- 2 large Vidalia onions, peeled and cut into 1/2” rings (do not separate rings)
- 1/4 cup Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener
- 16 slices of bacon
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and place the rack in the middle. Line a baking sheet with foil and place a cooling rack on top. Spray the cooling rack with cooking spray.
2. Place the sweetener in a large bowl.
3. Gently separate the onion rings leaving 2 rings together. Use the larger rings for this recipe and set the smaller ones aside for another use.
4. Take 2 strips of bacon and coat each side with sweetener.
5. Starting at one end of the bacon, snuggly but gently wrap the bacon around the onion ring slightly overlapping itself. You should be able to get half way around.
6. Take the second piece of bacon and place one end over top of the previous piece of bacon and continue wrapping until you have completely wrapped the onion ring in bacon.
7. Place on the cooking rack and continue wrapping the rest of the rings. For the smaller rings you'll use 1 1/2 slices of bacon. Don't overload the onion rings with bacon, since you want them to cook evenly.
8. Once all the rings are wrapped, place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
9. Using tongs to gently flip the onion rings over.
10. Cook for another 15-20 minutes.
11. Remove from the oven and immediately plate. They will be soft so be careful. The bacon will crisp up as the onion rings cool.
PREP TIME: 10 MIN COOK TIME: 40 MIN
NUTRITIONAL INFO: Serving Size: 2 onion rings Calories 191 Fat 13g Protein 12g Carbs 5g Fiber 1g Net Carbs 4g