Spicy Low Carb Cheese Pecan Crackers
Hi ho. Today we're going to make cheesy pecan crackers.
I needed some nutritional yeast for my recipe, so I had to go to a local health food store that my sister and I have nicknamed "Women and Women First". Like Toni and Candace on Portlandia, the women who run it are similarly humorless and unhelpful. (below)
The woman who checked me out looked at the nutritional yeast and said, "I use that stuff sometimes. You get used to the taste." I said, "You can get used to anything, I suppose." She completely agreed.
You can skip the nutritional yeast, if you don't want to brave your local health food store, but it does add an extra punch of cheesiness to these little crackers.
This recipe is based on a family recipe for Southern Pecan Cheese Biscuits that we make every Christmas. According to my aunt, every Junior League south of the Mason Dixon Line includes one of these in their cookbook.
To make the dough low carb, I changed up the ingredients to include almond flour, cheddar cheese, cream cheese, and eggs. I based the dough on a great cheese cracker recipe that I found on I Save A to Z. Then I added in some spicy ground red pepper and a pecan on top to keep it Southern. I daresay that these low carb crackers could go head to head with anything the Junior League could produce.
And don't worry, you get used to the taste.
Low Carb Cheese Pecan Crackers
- 2 cups extra sharp aged cheddar cheese, freshly grated
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/2 cup pecan halves
1. Mix all the ingredients except the pecans together in a medium sized microwave safe bowl.
2. Microwave on High for one minute until the cheeses are partially melted. Stir well to combine. If the dough can't be fully combined, then give it another 30 seconds in the microwave.
3. Allow to cool for several minutes and then mix in the beaten egg.
4. Roll the dough into a cylinder that is 1 1/2 inches wide. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 45 min - 1 hour in the freezer to make it firm enough to cut. Chill longer if necessary.
5. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and cover two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
6. Cut the dough cylinder into thin 1/8" thick rounds. (The thinner the better.) Place on the parchment covered cookie sheet.
7. Press one pecan into each cracker.
8. Bake for 15-20 minutes until browned all over. There will be oil released from the cookies. Just leave it.
9. Cool the crackers on the cookie sheet. They'll crisp up as they cool.
YIELD: 30 crackers
PREP TIME: 10 MIN COOK TIME: 16 MIN
NUTRITIONAL INFO: Serving Size: 3 crackers Calories 164 Fat 22g Protein 9g Carb 3g Fiber 2g Net Carbs 1g