Low Carb Keto Chicken Soup with Cauliflower Rice
Today is the fourth in a series of cold rainy days this week.
So I've been thinking about how good a bowl of chicken soup with rice would be. It's like that old Maurice Sendak children's book.
"In January it's so nice while slipping on the sliding ice to sip hot chicken soup with rice."
Actual rice is out, of course, since I'm on a low carb diet.
But cauliflower rice is also quite nice. It packs more vegetables into the meal. And in this rich and creamy soup, you can barely notice the difference between the two.
This chicken soup is incredibly comforting.
It's a simple cream of chicken soup with leeks, onions and cauliflower rice. The leeks and onions add a lovely oniony dimension to the soup and the heavy whipping cream makes it taste just wonderful. I can't wait to dig in to my long awaited soup.
Finally, I'll be "sipping once, sipping twice, sipping chicken soup with rice.".
Low Carb Chicken Soup with Cauliflower Rice
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 leeks, thinly sliced
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into small cubes
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups cauliflower, riced
1. Dice the onion and cut the leeks into thin strips. Cut the cauliflower into florets and then add to a food processor or high powered blender. Process until it's the consistency of rice.
2. In a large soup pot or dutch oven, saute onion and leeks in butter until softened, about 3 minutes. Add chicken, broth, parsley, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and cook for 20 minutes. Add in the cauliflower rice and cook for 10 minutes more.
4. Remove from heat and cool slightly before running half through the blender. Return to pot and stir in cream.
5. Heat to serve.
PREP TIME: 10 MIN COOK TIME: 35 MIN
NUTRITIONAL INFO: Serving Size: 1 cup Calories 246 Fat 14g Protein 26g Carb 7g Fiber 2g Net Carbs 5g