Very Convincing Low Carb Chocolate Chip Cookies
Lately, I've been jonesing for a good old fashioned chocolate chip cookie.
Seems like an easy enough request, but finding a good low carb chocolate chip cookie recipe proved to be more difficult that I expected. I tried a good half dozen paleo/lowcarb/atkins recipes and each one was problematic in it's own way. Too thin or too hard or too crumbly or too dry... or all four at once.
Then I thought, "Why are you making this so hard?"
Just take a normal chocolate chip cookie recipe and swap out the flour, sugar and chocolate chips with low carb versions! And by gum, it worked! I ended up with a fluffy yet chewy chocolate chip cookie that can totally hold it's own against the real thing. But this version only has 5 net carbs per cookie. Not bad, if I do say.
This recipe is really fun to bake too. My daughter quite enjoyed balling up the dough and then squishing it.
But then, who doesn't?
Low Carb Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
- 1 1/4 cup Bob's Red Mill Paleo Flour plus
- 3 tablespoons Bob's Red Mill Paleo Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup Swerve or equivalent sweetener
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar free chocolate chips (like Lilly's)
1. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Sift together the paleo flour, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
3. In a large bowl, cream together the egg, sweetener, butter and vanilla with an electric mixer.
4. Add the flour mixture and mix until it forms a dough.
5. Stir in chocolate chips.
6. Scoop out 1 tablespoon-sized balls and place on the parchment lined cookie sheet 2 inches apart.
7. Flatten with the bottom of a glass to about 1/2 inch thick.
8. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until slightly golden around the edges.
9. Cool for 2-3 minutes on the cookie sheet and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
PREP TIME: 10 MIN COOK TIME: 12 MIN
NUTRITIONAL INFO: Serving Size: 1 cookie Calories 91 Total Fat 5g Net Carbs 5g Protein 2g