Low Carb Cloud Bread
When you start on a low carb diet, you soon realize how addicted you are to bread. That's when you turn to recipes like cloud bread.
It's like bread methadone.
Unfortunately, just like actual methadone, it is not nearly as good as the real thing. For real low carb bread, you'll need to break out the vital wheat gluten, the yeast, and all your nut flours. But if you just want the feel of bread, then this is the recipe to reach for. There are a lot of recipes for cloud bread out there, but the one I found most useful was from the Sugar-Free Mom.
Her cloud bread is made using eggs, sour cream and whey protein powder. (Whey powder is the secret to her success.)
The cloud-like quality of the bread comes from whipping the egg whites and then folding them gently into the yolks, sour cream and whey powder. The result is a fluffy but somewhat flimsy slice that is best eaten toasted or made into french toast.
Mmmmm. French Toast. Now that is as good as heroin.
Low Carb Cloud Bread
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup unflavored whey protein powder
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
2. Using an electric mixer, whip the egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form.
3. Combine the egg yolks, sour cream, baking powder, salt and protein powder in a medium sized bowl.
4. Fold the egg whites into the yolk mixture a little at a time until it's all incorporated.
5. Pour the mixture into a greased loaf pan*.
6. Bake on the middle shelf of oven for 50- 60 minutes or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean.
7. Allow to cool before removing from the pan and slicing.
8. Store in the refrigerator.
PREP TIME: 15 MIN COOK TIME: 50 MIN
*This recipe can also be used to make 8 rolls. Portion out the batter into bun sized dollops on a parchment covered coolie sheet and bake for 20-30 minutes.
NUTRITIONAL INFO: Serving Size: 1 slice Calories 96 Total Fat 6g Protein 7g Carb 2g Fiber 0g Net Carbs 2g