Low Carb Keto Coconut Egg Custard
I saw the most adorable thing on Facebook today.
It's a trio of child musicians from Mexico named Los Bañales Juniors. (below) These three have won my heart.
I love the impromptu horse accompaniment in the background.
The kids just smile and play on. They are so cute. I can't even handle it.
But let's return to the non-cute world for a minute and talk about egg custard.
So far I've posted recipes for low carb egg custard, pumpkin custard, lemon custard and flan. Today's recipe is in that same family. But it uses coconut milk as its base, so it's lighter than the other cream based custards. It tastes like vanilla egg custard with just a hint of coconut. It's really good.
But now I must get back to the cuteness. Adiós!
Low Carb Coconut Egg Custard
- 1 (13.5) can full fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and put a full kettle of water on to boil.
2. Whisk together the eggs, sweetener and salt.
3. Heat coconut milk and heavy cream until barely simmering.
4. Slowly whisk heated coconut milk into egg mixture to temper it.
5. Stir in vanilla extract.
6 Pour into 5 custard cups.
7. Place cups in a 13×9 inch baking pan. Fill the pan with hot water.
8. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
9. Remove cups to a wire rack and cool for an hour before moving to the refrigerator to chill for at least 1 hour.
10. Store in the refrigerator.
PREP TIME: 5 MIN COOK TIME: 55 MIN
NUTRITIONAL INFO: Serving Size: 1 custard cup Calories 236 Fat 24g Protein 5g Carbs3g Fiber 0g Net Carbs 3g