Low Carb Keto Navajo Fry Bread
I've got two things to share today: Walk off the Earth and low carb fry bread.
One is a delicious ketogenic bread and the other is a great new band I just heard. Here's the video that made me fall in love with them. It's their cover of "Hey Ya!" by Outkast. (below)
Cool, right? I've never seen two people play the same cello before.
Today's recipe is also very cool. It's a low carb take on Navajo fry bread. This is a non-yeast quick bread that is fried in oil. Our low carb version is a little more delicate than traditional fry bread, so we'll need to bake it first, and then quickly fry it for a few seconds at the end.
Just enough to give it a nice golden color. Hey ya!
Low Carb Fry Bread
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons ground psyllium husk powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups boiling water
- canola oil, for frying
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and cover two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2. Mix together the coconut flour, psyllium husk powder, baking powder and salt in a medium sized bowl.
3. Mix in the melted butter and mix until crumbs form.
4. Mix in the boiling water. Allow the dough to rest for 5 minutes.
5. Cut the dough into 6 balls. Lay out some parchment paper. Use the palm of your hand to smash the balls into a flat round shape on the parchment paper. Transfer them to the cookie sheets.
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes until firm and cooked through.
7. Add 1/4 inch of canola oil to a large frying pan and heat over medium heat. One by one, add the pieces of bread and quickly cook until golden, only 20 seconds per side.
8. Drain on paper towels and serving immediately.
PREP TIME: 10 MIN COOK TIME: 21 MIN
NUTRITIONAL INFO: Calories 176 Total Fat 15g Protein 2g Carbs 9g Fiber 6g Net Carbs 3g
*The nutritional info was calculated with an estimated 1 tablespoon of canola oil.