Low Carb Keto Gingerbread Loaf Cake
I love Youtube. It really "gets me".
Last night Youtube recommended the video that you see below. It's a fan-made title sequence for a Magnum P.I. / Murder She Wrote crossover storyline that aired in 1986. What? That's right, it was called "Magnum on Ice" and by all accounts, it was delightful. Jessica Fletcher is on vacation in Hawaii when she crosses paths with Thomas Magnum, Private Investigator. There is a murder, Magnum gets framed for it, and Jessica has to save the day with her geriatric sleuthing skills.
It sounds just wonderful.
"What does this have to do with gingerbread loaf cake?" you may well ask.
Not a single thing. Although I was eating gingerbread when I stumbled upon this little gem. Maybe that counts?
Let's just move on to the gingerbread loaf cake.
It's really delicious. I based my recipe on a great gingerbread loaf cake that I found on All Day I Dream About Food. I pared down the frosting a little and included blackstrap molasses in my adaptation. You can skip the molasses if you are worried about the extra carbs, but I think it adds a nice rich flavor to the endeavor. If you want to leave it out though, you can replace it with 2 tablespoons water and 2 tablespoons sweetener. No biggie.
Ok, I think I'm going to need to binge watch Murder, She Wrote now. But a word of advice before I go. If you see Angela Lansbury in your town, RUN!
Murder follows that broad wherever she goes.
Low Carb Gingerbread Loaf Cake
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener
- 1/4 cup unflavored or vanilla whey protein powder
- 4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons blackstrap molasses (optional, can be replaced with 2 tb water and 2 tb sweetener)*
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
cream cheese frosting:
- 4 tablepoons heavy cream
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons powdered swerve sweetener
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F and grease a loaf pan.
2. Melt the butter in the microwave for about a minute.
3. Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
4. Mix the eggs, cream, water, vanilla, and molasses in a medium sized bowl.
5. Add the wet mixture to the dry and mix well to combine. Add the melted butter and mix until smooth.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and smooth the top.
7. Bake 50 to 60 minutes, until the cake is golden and the center is firm to the touch. A toothpick or wooden skewer inserted in the center should come out clean.
8. Remove from the oven and let cool 20 minutes. Then loosen the edges with a knife and flip out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
9. In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese with an electric mixer until smooth, then beat in the sweetener until well combined. Add the cream a few tablespoons at a time until a spreadable consistency achieved. You may need more than 4 tablespoons. Beat in the vanilla extract.
10. Spread the frosting over top of the cooled cake.
PREP TIME: 15 MIN COOK TIME: 1 HOUR
NUTRITIONAL INFO: Calories 349 Fat 30g Protein 12g Carb 11g Fiber 4g Net Carbs 7g
*If you leave out the molasses, the nutritional info is:
NUTRITIONAL INFO: Calories 340 Fat 30g Protein 12g Carb 9g Fiber 4g Net Carbs 5g