Low Carb Keto Gnocchi with Mushroom Sauce
Guess what I learned how to make today.
Ok, I'll just tell you. I learned how to make low carb gnocchi. The recipe is the brain child of Mellissa over at I Breath I'm Hungry. She has found a way to turn cheese and almond flour into a tasty chewy simulacrum of gnocchi noodles. Hats off to her. I thought that my gnocchi days were over. I am so happy to be wrong!
These little gnocchi are so cute and so fun to make.
They remind me of claymation, more than anything else. Remember the Wallace & Gromit cartoon when Wallace fell in love with the Bake-O-Lite Girl? (below) He was a baker in that film, and he fantasized about her while sculpting her head out of dough. Man, did he have it bad.
But I get it. It's fun to play with dough and daydream.
Today I made these gnocchi and then cooked up a low carb mushroom sauce to top them with. It's this creamy, umami rich meal with only 8g net carbs.
Yep, it's definitely dreamy.
Low Carb Gnocchi with Mushroom Sauce
- 2 cups super fine almond flour
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
For the gnocchi:
1. Combine the mozzarella cheese and butter in a medium bowl and microwave for 1 minute. Stir, then microwave another minute. Stir until fully combined and cool for 2 minutes.
2. Stir in the egg and egg yolk until combined.
3. Add the almond flour and stir until fully combined.
4. Turn out dough onto smooth surface and knead until a semi-stretchy dough is formed.
5. Form the dough into a long roll about 1 inch in diameter and then cut pieces about 1/2″ wide. Roll them in your palms until they are an oval shape. (You can use a fork and press down on one side, if you like that shape.)
6. Freeze the gnocchi for 10 minutes to firm them up.
7. Bring a pot of salted water to a gentle boil. Add the gnocchi to the water in small batches and boil for 1 – 2 minutes or until floating.
8. Remove the gnocchi with a slotted spoon onto a paper towel lined plate, and cool for 5 minutes before adding to sauce.
For the mushroom sauce:
9. Melt the butter over medium heat until frothy. Add the garlic and cook for one minute.
10. Add the mushrooms, salt, pepper and thyme and sauté until golden and liquid evaporates, about 8 minutes.
11. Add the broth and cream and cook until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
12. Remove from heat and add in lemon zest.
13. Add the gnocchi to the pan and mix in until the gnocchi are coated in mushroom sauce.
14. Sprinkle the fresh parsley on top.
PREP TIME: 15 MIN COOK TIME: 20 MIN
NUTRITIONAL INFO: Calories 624 Fat 59g Protein 22g Carb 12g Fiber 4g Net Carbs 8g