Low Carb Keto Honey Bunches of Oats Cereal
We had a saying in our house, growing up.
When we were scrounging around, looking for something to eat, my parents would say, "Well, there's always cereal." I've been thinking about that phrase now that I am on a low carb diet. Because, sadly, there isn't always cereal.
On a low carb diet, there is almost never cereal! It's just not right.
So this morning, I decided to make my own. I came up with a low carb version of one of my favorite cereals, Honey Bunches of Oats. You've probably seen the commercials (above). They are "the best of the bunch".
Since grains are off limits on a low carb diet, I decided to recreate the cereal using sliced almonds, pecans, flaked coconut and flaxseed meal.
It's sweetened with one of my favorite low carb sweeteners: sugar free pancake syrup. It gives the cereal a sweet maple flavor. But you can sub in equivalent syrups like Yacon or Sukrin if you'd like. The main idea it to make a convincing sweetened oat substitute. A "noat", as they say. So maybe I should call them Honey Bunches of Noats?
Either way, they're the best of the low carb bunch.
Low Carb Honey Bunches of Oats
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup flax seed meal
- 2 tablespoons Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener
- 1/4 cup sugar free pancake syrup or equivalent syrup like Yacon or Sukrin
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. Mix the almonds, coconut flakes, pecans, salt, sweetener and flax seed meal together in a medium sized bowl.
3. Add the syrup and mix to coat.
4. Add the melted butter and mix well.
5. Spread out evenly on the cookie sheet.
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Break into bunches.
7. Allow to cool completely before storing.
PREP TIME: 5 MIN COOK TIME: 20 MIN
NUTRITIONAL INFO: Serving Size: 1/2 cup Calories 293 Fat 31g Protein 9g Carb 12g Fiber 7g Net Carbs 5g