Low Carb Keto Lemon Curd
It's been over half a century, but we are finally getting a Mary Poppins sequel. (below)
I'm pretty stoked about it.
You've got Emily Blunt as Mary Poppins and Lin-Manuel Miranda as... well I'm not quite sure who he plays. He does look suspiciously like a chimney sweep though. The film takes place in Depression Era London, 25 years after the end of the first film. Emily Mortimer and Ben Whishaw play grown-up versions of Jane and Michael Banks. You've also got Dick Van Dyke, Angela Lansbury and Meryl Streep rounding out the cast. Chim Chim Cheroo, now that's a cast!
In honor of the return of Mary Poppins, I thought I'd make something particularly English. Lemon curd came to mind. It originated in England in the early 1800's, and used to be actual lemon curd. As in when lemon acidulates cream to form curds.
Don't worry- we're not doing that.
The lemon curd we make nowadays is more of a velvety lemon pudding.
It's made with butter and sugar and eggs. And this low carb version swaps out the sugar for sugar free sweetener. That brings the carb count down to just 1g carb per tablespoon. Lemon curd can be used in any number of ways. You can use it as a spread on low carb bread or as a filling for pies and cakes. Or you can just eat it straight out of the jar.
Coo, what a sight!
Low Carb Lemon Curd
- 4 lemons, juice and zest
- 3/4 cup Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
1. Squeeze the lemons and zest them.
2. Add the lemon juice, lemon zest, butter and sweetener to a medium sized heatproof bowl. Set the bowl over a pan of gently simmering water. Don't let the bowl touch the bottom of the pan. Stir until all the butter has melted.
3. Whisk the egg and egg yolks, then stir into the heated mixture. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring constantly. (If you stop stirring it will curdle.) It should stick to the back of the spoon.
4. Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
PREP TIME: 10 MIN COOK TIME: 12 MIN
NUTRITIONAL INFO: Serving Size: 2 tablespoons Calories 140 Fat 14g Protein 3g Carb 2 Fiber 0 Net Carbs 2g