Low Carb Keto Lemon Meringue Pie
Today we're going to make a low carb lemon meringue pie, so I thought it would be fitting to talk about Beyonce's Lemonade album first.
Here's my absolute favorite scene from Lemonade, the part where she walks around hitting stuff with a baseball bat. (above) It feels cathartic just watching it.
But let's get to that Lemon Meringue Pie, shall we?
This pie is a light and lemony dessert with only 3g net carb per slice. It's the perfect dessert to bring to a Spring or Summer party. It will fit right in with all the regular sugary desserts. It's that good.
Ok, now it's time for me to watch some more Lemonade.
To Queen Bae, long may she reign!
Low Carb Lemon Meringue Pie
- 1 3/4 cups super fine almond flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup vanilla or plain whey protein
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 envelope Knox unflavored gelatine
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large egg yolks, beaten
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 6 large egg whites
- 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Mix the almond flour and whey protein powder together in a medium sized bowl. Add the egg and melted butter and mix well.
3. Press the dough into the bottom and up the side of a glass or ceramic pie pan. Poke holes in the crust with a fork to let out steam.
4. Bake for 12-15 minutes until lightly browned around the edges. Remove from the oven and let it cool. Open the oven door to cool the oven down. Set the oven temperature to 300 degrees F.
5. Mix the unflavored gelatine together with 2 tablespoons water and set it aside to soften.
6. Combine the remaining 1 cup water, sweetener, lemon zest and salt in a medium sized saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until it comes to a boil and the sweetener is fully dissolved.
7. Add the egg yolks to a small bowl and whisk them lightly. Slowly add 1/2 cup of the cooked mixture into the yolk, whisking constantly to temper. Add the egg mixture back into the pan. Cook for 1 minute more, stirring constantly.
8. Stir in lemon juice and butter and mix until smooth. Sprinkle surface with xanthan gum and whisk to combine.
9. Stir the softened gelatine into the filling mixture, whisking until well combined. Remove from heat and set aside.
10. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in a large bowl with al electric mixer until foamy. Slowly add meringue sweetener and continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
11. Pour the lemon filling into the pie pan.
12. Carefully dollop the meringue topping on top of the filling. Cover the whole surface, all the way to the edges of the crust. Swirl the meringue topping with the spoon.
13. Bake for 20 minutes at 300 degrees F or until meringue topping is golden and just barely firm to the touch. Let pie cool 20 minutes, then refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving.
PREP TIME: 15 MIN COOK TIME: 35 MIN
CHILL TIME: 3 HRS
NUTRITIONAL INFO: Calories 185 Total Fat 14g Protein 10g Carbs 5g Fiber 2g Net Carbs 3g