Low Carb Keto Mexican Chocolate Ice Cream
At long last I've found it: the secret to perfect ice cream.
Skim Milk Powder.
I found this secret in a cookbook from Ample Hills Creamery in Brooklyn. Skim milk powder is used in most commercial ice creams to absorb excess water and give it a milkier, creamier flavor. It helps to avoid pesky ice crystals, so I've been adding it to my own low carb ice cream.
Here's my recipe for Mexican Chocolate Ice Cream. It's a spicy take on chocolate, that only has 12g of net carb per serving.
Low Carb Mexican Chocolate Ice Cream
- 1 (13oz)can full fat coconut milk, shaken
- 1/2 cup skim milk powder
- 3/4 cup Swerve or equivalent sweetener
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 oz sugar - free chocolate chips (like Lilly's)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/ 2teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1. Mix the sweetener, skim milk powder, and coconut milk in a medium sized saucepan. Make sure that the skim milk powder is completely dissolved, and then add in the cream.
2. Cook over medium-low heat for 5 minutes until the temperature reaches 110 degrees.
3. Whisk 1/2 cup of the milk mixture into the egg yolks to temper them. Return the egg yolk mixture to the pan.
4. Cook on medium-low heat for another 5 minutes until the temperature reaches 165 degrees. Mix in the cocoa powder and chocolate chip and cool until mostly blended. (There can still be some chips.)
5. Transfer to a blender and add in the vanilla and spices. Blend until it is smooth and consistent.
6. Add to a container and chill in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours.
7. Pour the custard into your ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer’s directions.
PREP TIME: 3 HR 20 MIN COOK TIME: 10 MIN
NUTRITIONAL INFO: Calories 315 Total Fat 41g Protein 8g Carb 19g Fiber 7g Net Carbs 12g