At long last I’ve found it: the secret to perfect ice cream. It’s skim milk powder.
I found this secret in a cookbook from Ample Hills Creamery in Brooklyn.
Skim milk powder is used in most commercial ice creams to absorb excess water and give it a milkier, creamier flavor. It helps to avoid pesky ice crystals, so I’ve been adding it to my own low carb ice cream.
Here’s my recipe for Mexican Chocolate Ice Cream. It’s a spicy take on chocolate, that only has 12g of net carb per serving.
Low Carb Keto Mexican Chocolate Ice Cream
This recipe is a decadent low carb Mexican chocolate ice cream.
- Prep Time: 3:20
- Cook Time: 10
- Total Time: 3 hours 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 1 (13oz)can full fat coconut milk, shaken
- 1/2 cup skim milk powder
- 3/4 cup Swerve or equivalent sweetener
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 oz sugar – free chocolate chips (like Lilly’s)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/ 2teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/8 – 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, as desired
1. Mix the sweetener, skim milk powder, and coconut milk in a medium sized saucepan. Make sure that the skim milk powder is completely dissolved, and then add in the cream.
2. Cook over medium-low heat for 5 minutes until the temperature reaches 110 degrees.
3. Whisk 1/2 cup of the milk mixture into the egg yolks to temper them. Return the egg yolk mixture to the pan.
4. Cook on medium-low heat for another 5 minutes until the temperature reaches 165 degrees. Mix in the cocoa powder and chocolate chip and cool until mostly blended. (There can still be some chips.)
5. Transfer to a blender and add in the vanilla and spices. Blend until it is smooth and consistent.
6. Add to a container and chill in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours.
7. Pour the custard into your ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer’s directions.
- Calories: 315
- Fat: 41
- Carbohydrates: 19
- Fiber: 7
- Protein: 8
Keywords: Low Carb Mexican Chocolate Ice Cream, Keto Mexican Chocolate Ice Cream, Sugar-Free Mexican Chocolate Ice Cream
You’ll need these specialty items:
If you liked this low carb ice cream recipe, then you might like my recipes for Vanilla, Butter Pecan or Rhubarb Cobbler Ice Cream.