Low Carb Mock Apple Walnut Crumb Muffins
Well, she's done it again folks.
The Sugar-Free Mom has created a low carb muffin that is worth its salt. Her recipe for Apple Crumb Muffins is so good, that for one glorious moment, I forgot that they were low carb. She solved the problem that plagued all the muffins I've tried before: dryness. In fact, I would go as far as to call them moist. Moist and utterly delicious.
I'm off fruit for the time being, so I swapped out the apples for yellow squash. (Don't worry, with enough cinnamon and sweetener, they completely pass for apples.) This small change lowers the net carb count to 5 g.
This blows a normal 60 carb muffin right out of the water.
Well done Sugar Free Mom. I salute you.
Low Carb Mock Apple Walnut Crumble Muffins
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups diced yellow squash
- 2 tablespoons tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons Swerve or equivalent sweetener
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup super fine almond flour
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed meal
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
1. Start by making the mock apples. Cut out the seeds of the yellow squash and cut into 1/2 inch pieces.. Saute for 5 minutes in butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the lemon, sweetener and cinnamon and saute for another 5 minutes. It should be sticky and gooey. Spoon the mock apples evenly over the cake batter
2. Then add your butter, Swerve, eggs, and vanilla extract to a blender and mix.
3. Mix the almond flour, flaxseed, coconut flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl and then add it to the blender and mix.
4. Slowly add the almond milk while blending. Turn off the blender and mix in the mock apples.
5. Prepare your muffin pan with oil or cupcake liners and fill the wells almost to the top with the batter.
6. Make up the topping and crumble on top.
7. Cover with tin foil and bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees F. Remove the foil and bake for another 10 minutes until nicely browned. Use a toothpick to make sure that the center is completely cooked.
8. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing.
PREP TIME: 15 MIN COOK TIME: 30 MIN
NUTRITIONAL INFO: Serving Size: 1 muffin Calories 299 Total Fat 26g Net Carbs 5g Protein 7g