Low Carb Keto Mock Apple Coffee Cake
It's 8am and I am eating coffee cake and watching some of the strangest commercials that I have ever seen.
It's these advertisements for Cravendale Milk that ran in the U.K. a while back. (above)
The commercials follow the exploits of three toy figurines: Cow, Pirate and Cyclist. These three are obsessed with milk. In fact, the only dialog in the commercials is "Milk! Milk! MILK!". These commercials are so trippy. In the one above, there is only one glass of milk left, so Cow, Pirate and Cyclist play musical chairs to see who gets the milk. I won't give away the ending, but you will not see it coming.
But about that coffee cake that I mentioned earlier.
This is a low carb crumb cake made using mock apples. You make mock apples by sauteing yellow squash or zucchini and infusing it with lemon juice and cinnamon. The result is a tasty low carb fruit substitute. I based the rest of the recipe on a cinnamon apple crumb cake that I found on I Breath I'm Hungry. It's a coffee cake that could easily pass for a normal sugary one. But this cake only has 5g net carbs per slice. Not too shabby.
Once you've got your coffee cake, all you need is a nice tall glass of almond milk to go with it.
"Milk! Milk! MILK!"
Here's a compilation of all the strange and wonderful Cravendale Milk commercials. Enjoy!
Low Carb Mock Apple Coffee Cake
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/3 cup Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup super fine almond flour
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups yellow squash, seeds removed, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener
- 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener
- 3/4 cup super fine almond flour
- 1/3 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and grease a 9 inch spring form pan.
2. Cream the butter and sweetener together until smooth and fluffy.
3. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each, then add the vanilla extract.
4. In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the almond flour, coconut flour, cinnamon, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt.
5. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix.
6. In a small bowl, combine the water and the cream, then pour mix it into the batter.
7. Spread the batter into a greased 9 inch spring form pan.
Mock Apple Layer:
8. Cut out the seeds of the yellow squash and cut into 1/2 inch pieces.. Saute for 5 minutes in butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the lemon, sweetener and cinnamon and saute for another 5 minutes. It should be sticky and gooey. Spoon the mock apples evenly over the cake batter
9. Mix together the almond flour, sweetener, walnuts and salt. Mix in the melted butter. Stir well until a crumbly dough forms. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the cake batter.
10. Bake the cake in a 375 degree F oven for 35 minutes. Check in at minute 25. If the streusel topping is nicely browned, lightly cover it with aluminum foil or parchment paper for the last 10 minutes.
11. Remove from the oven and cool before serving.
PREP TIME: 15 MIN COOK TIME: 35 MIN
NUTRITIONAL INFO: Calories 344 Fat 33g Protein 8g Carb 11g Fiber 6g Net Carbs 5g