Low Carb Keto Mock Dried Apples
I am so stoked.
I nabbed myself a food dehydrator yesterday. Now I can make my own weird dried vegetables at home.
My favorite trick is to make yellow squash taste like apples. You're not allowed to have dried fruit on a low carb diet, but nobody said anything about vegetables. I call them squapples. (Not really, that would be ridiculous.)
To make these mock dried apples you'll need yellow squash, oil, lemon juice, sweetener, cinnamon, ginger and a food dehydrator. You start by cooking up the squash with the oil, spices and lemon juice. Then you dehydrate the squash slices for 15 hours at 130 degrees.
And there you have it. Dried Squapples.
(Yep, still sounds dumb.)
Low Carb Mock Dried Apples
- 4 cups yellow squash, sliced
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 5 tablespoons Swerve or equivalent sweetener
- 1 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon dried ginger
1. Cut the yellow quash into 1/8 inch thick slices.
2. Cook the squash in the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the lemon juice, sweetener and spices and cook for another 5 minutes.
3. Add to a dehydrator and dehydrate for 15 hours at 130 degrees F.
PREP TIME: 5 MIN COOK TIME: 15 HRS
NUTRITIONAL INFO: Calories 94 Total Fat 7g Protein 2g Carbs 8g Fiber 4g Net Carbs 4