Low Carb Keto Cauliflower Risotto with Mushrooms
This mushroom and cauliflower meal is awfully beige, isn't it?
Well, no matter. Beige can be exciting too. Remember that Fatboy Slim video with Christopher Walken? (below) It's just Walken, alone in a nondescript, beige walled hotel, dancing his heart out. He's absolutely mesmerizing.
Beige things aren't necessarily boring, is all I'm saying.
Cauliflower acts as an excellent stand-in for rice in this low carb dish.
It's the perfect backdrop for the flavorful shallots and umami rich mushrooms. And unlike a rice risotto, this version only has 6g net carbs per serving.
It's like Fatboy Slim says, "You can go with this or you can go with that."
You should definitely go with this.
Low Carb Cauliflower Risotto with Mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup shallots, chopped
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 large head of cauliflower, riced
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Chop the cauliflower into florets and process in a food processor or high powered blender until it is the consistency of rice.
2. In a large lidded frying pan, cook the garlic, shallots and mushrooms in a tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Cook for 8 minutes.
3. Add chicken broth and riced cauliflower to the pan and stir well. Bring to a boil.
4. Lower the heat to low and cover. Let steam for 5-7 minutes.
5. Remove the cover and let some of the chicken broth evaporate and cook the cauliflower more. This should take about 5-10 minutes.
6. Once there is no moisture at the bottom of the pan when stirred, add the heavy cream, parmesan cheese, thyme, salt and pepper. Stir until parmesan has melted and serve.
PREP TIME: 10 MIN COOK TIME: 25 MIN
NUTRITIONAL INFO: Calories 186 Fat 13g Protein 10g Carb 10g Fiber 4g Net Carbs 6g