Low Carb Keto Pecan Pie Bites
I've seen a lot of strange things in my time, but nothing compares to the video I just found on Youtube.
It's a 1973 performance by the Spanish disco dance troupe Ballet Zoom. (below) It perfectly encapsulates all that is good about cat videos and disco dancing. It is truly a thing of beauty.
But pecan pie bites. Let's make some.
Pecan pie has always been a little too intense for me. The syrupy sweetness was just too much. But now that I'm on a sugar free diet, I thought I'd give pecan pie another try. But this time around, I decided to go with a smaller pie "bite". It's harder to overindulge with these bite-sized desserts.
A warning though: You'll need a candy thermometer to make this recipe.
If you don't have one, then it'll be hard to gauge when the caramel filling is done. I based this recipe on a pecan and coconut bar that I found on Simply So Healthy. It's just as intense as the pecan pie of my younger days, but this version only has 1g net carbs per serving. Not too shabby.
But now I must get back to my cat video.
Low Carb Pecan Pie Bites
- cooking spray
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons sugar free pancake syrup
- 1/3 cup Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cup chopped pecans
whipped cream topping:
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon powdered Swerve or equivalent powdered sweetener
1. Spray a mini muffin pan with cooking spray.
2. Attach a candy thermometer to a medium sized sauce pan. Add butter and melt over low heat. Stir in syrup and sweetener. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly.
3. Simmer mixture over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture reaches 250 degrees F. Stir in heavy whipping cream. The mixture will bubble up.
4. Continue heating mixture, stirring constantly until mixture reaches 268 degrees F. Remove mixture from heat.
5. Mix in vanilla extract and salt until smooth and combined. Stir in pecans.
6. Drop spoonfuls of the mixture into the wells of the mini muffin pan. You should have 16 pecan bites.
7. Refrigerate until cool, at least 1 hour.
8. Add the cream, vanilla and sweetener to a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Pipe the whipped cream onto the pecan pie bites.
9. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
PREP TIME: 10 MIN COOK TIME: 15 MIN
CHILL TIME: 1 HR
NUTRITIONAL INFO: Serving size: 1 pecan pie bite Calories 141 Fat 15g Protein 1g Carb 2g Fiber 1g Net Carbs 1g