Low Carb Keto Sweet & Spicy Pickles
"Smart moms know how kids minds grow upon... Sweet Pickles!"
I've had this jingle stuck in my head all morning as I worked on this recipe for sweet pickles (below).
Sweet Pickles was this children's book subscription service in the 1980's. The books chronicled a ragtag crew of over-sized animals. Each animal had a terrible character flaw. There was Jealous Jackal, Accusing Alligator, Yakety Yak and of course, their ringleader, Goof-off Goose. Every month their bad behavior got them into some kind of "pickle".
Hence the name.
Like so many things from my childhood, there are elements of Sweet Pickles that would never fly today. Enormous Elephant the over-eating pachyderm? Unlikely. And I don't even know what was going on with X-Rating Xerus (an actual character). Nothing good.
But anyway, pickles.
Here's my recipe for sweet and spicy pickles. Not to be a Smarty Stork, but this might just be the best low carb pickle recipe on the Internet. Sweet Pickles!
Low Carb Sweet & Spicy Pickles
- 6 cups sliced cucumbers (about 2 pounds)
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1 cup sliced red and yellow bell peppers
- 1 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup Swerve or equivalent sweetener
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1. Bring the vinegar, sweetener, and spices to a boil.
2. Pour the liquid over the onions and cucumbers in a resealable container.
3. Chill in the refrigerator for 4 days.
PREP TIME: 10 MIN COOK TIME: 5 MIN
NUTRITIONAL INFO: Serving Size: 1 oz (6 pickle slices) Calories 3 Total Fat <1g Protein <1g Carb <1g Fiber <1g Net Carbs <1g