Low Carb Keto Tuna Zoodle Casserole
I'm all for zoodles, up to a point.
Zoodles are, of course, low carb parlance for zucchini noodles. You use a spiralizer to cut zucchini into these cunning noodley shapes. They don't taste anything like real noodles, but they are still oddly comforting. You could reasonably recreate the spaghetti scene from Lady & The Tramp with zoodles (below). They are just as unwieldy as their high carb cousins.
Today's recipe uses zoodles to make the classic Tuna Noodle Casserole. The original is one of the easiest casseroles there is. You just need noodles, cream of mushroom soup and a couple cans of tunafish. My low carb version takes a little longer, because you are making everything from scratch, including the noodles. But soon enough you'll have a healthy bowl of zoodles to fall in love over.
Low Carb Tuna Zoodle Casserole
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 12 cups zucchini noodles (3 medium zucchini)
- 1 cup red bell pepper, diced (1 medium pepper)
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 3 cans chunk tuna in water
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9×13 inch casserole dish.
2. Spiralize the zucchini. Chop the garlic, mushrooms and red pepper.
3. Heat a large skillet to medium heat and add the butter. Once it is frothy, add the garlic and cook for one minute. Add the peppers and cook for one minute more. Then add the mushrooms and cook for 8 minutes.
4. Pour in the cream and broth and season with salt and pepper. Cook until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Drain the water from the tuna cans, and add tuna to the pan.
5. Mix the zucchini noodles with the mushroom sauce and put in the casserole dish. Stir in 1 cup of cheese and top with the remaining cup of cheese.
6. Bake for 35-40 minutes until the cheese is melted and the casserole is hot throughout
PREP TIME: 10 MIN COOK TIME: 45 MIN
NUTRITIONAL INFO: Calories 435 Total Fat 33g Protein 29g Carbs 6g Fiber 2g Net Carbs 4g