Low Carb Keto Zucchini Quesadilla
I should say at the outset- this is not a quesadilla with zucchini in it.
It is a quesadilla that is made from zucchini.
Also, you need to pronounce the Ls in quesadilla, just like Napoleon Dynamite's grandmother (below). It won't taste any different, but it will be funnier.
Zucchini tortillas are kind of genius. I got the recipe from the Low Carb Maven. Tortillas are literally the last place you'd expect to find zucchini. And to turn them into quesadillas, all you need to do is add some cheese and fry them up in a pan. No problemo.
Then if anybody in your family complains about being hungry, you can hollar:
"Knock it off Napoleon. Make yourself a dang quesadilla!"
Low Carb Zucchini Quesadilla
- 3 cups grated zucchini (1 pound)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 scallions, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Grate the zucchini on a box grater or in a food processor. Put the zucchini in a colander and sprinkle with the teaspoon of salt. Mix the zucchini gently to distribute the salt and let it sit for about 5 minutes. Add the zucchini to a clean tea towel and wring out the liquid.
3. Add the eggs and scallion to the zucchini and mix together. In a small bowl, add the baking powder, pepper, almond flour, coconut flour and parmesan cheese and stir together. Add the dry to the wet and stir to incorporate.
4. Use a 1/4 cup measure and place 4 mounds onto the baking sheet. Spread them into thin, flat circles, about 5 inches wide. Repeat with the remaining batter and the 2nd cookie sheet.
5. Bake for 7 minutes, switch the baking pans (put the top pan on the bottom rack and the bottom pan on the top rack) and bake 7 minutes more.
6. Let the zucchini tortillas cool a bit before removing with a spatula to a cooling rack to cool.
7. Once they're cool enough to handle, you can assemble the quesadillas. Sandwich one slice of cheese between 2 tortillas. Heat olive oil in a pan. Add the quesadillas and cook for about 1 minute for each side. Cook just enough for the cheese to melt.
PREP TIME: 10 MIN COOK TIME: 15 MIN
NUTRITIONAL INFO: Calories 358 Total Fat 26g Protein 20g Carbs 13g Fiber 6g Net Carbs 7g