My son has been way into monsters ever since he saw Monsters University. (below)
So for his 4th birthday we threw him a big monster party. It had a monster shaped cardboard fort, a monster pinata, monster food, and even a decorate-your-own-monster cupcake station. We left it all on the field.
I highly recommend all of these things except for the cupcake station. Giving 4 year olds free reign over a pile of candy and icing was not our best idea. The looks on the other parents' faces were enough to tell us that we had made a very grave error. Lesson learned.
But the rest of the monster party was a great success, so I'm going to share my recipe for monster cookies.
You can't have a proper monster party without monster cookies.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- food coloring
- candy eyeballs
1. In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add in egg, vanilla extract, and almond extract and mix until combined.
2. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until completely combined.
3. Separate the dough into 3 parts. Add desired food coloring and mix again with the electric mixer. You will have a lot of dough crumbles at this point. Knead the dough until it comes together in a ball and the colors are fully combined.
4. Roll the dough between 2 sheets of parchment or wax paper to about 1/4 inch thick. Place on a baking sheet in the refrigerator. Chill for about 20-30 minutes.
5. Use a circle cookie cutter or a glass to shape the dough into circles.
6. Place the cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees F for 8-12 minutes. Once they come out of the oven, you can arrange the eyeball candies on top and push them lightly into the soft cookies. You can also affix the eyeballs using some white icing as glue.
7. Cool on baking sheet 5 minutes, then transfer to a baking rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
PREP TIME: 45 MIN COOK TIME: 15 MIN
NUTRITIONAL INFO: Serving Size: 2 cookies Calories 245 Total Fat 13g Protein <1g Carbs 17g