This yummy low carb cereal has just 97 calories and less than 1g net carbs. Not too shabby for a bowl of bran flakes.
1/4 cup super fine almond flour
3 tablespoons flaxseed meal
2 tablespoons Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener
2 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese (the very fine kind that come in a can)
1 tablespoon hulled hemp seeds
1/8 teaspoon salt
1. Pre-heat oven to 300 degrees F and get out some parchment paper, a large cookie sheet, a silpat silicone mat* and a rolling pin.
2. In a medium sized bow, mix together all dry ingredients. Mix in the water and allow the dough to to rest for 10 minutes to allow the water to be absorbed.
3. Shape the dough into a ball and roll it out between the silmat mat and the parchment paper. Roll it out as thin as you can go, about a 1/6 of an inch.
4. Bake in the 300 degree F oven for 6-8 minutes until the edges are just beginning to brown. Take out of the oven and open the oven door to let all the heat out. And then pre-heat the oven to 225 degrees F
5. Let the dough cool on the pan for 20 minutes until it is firm enough to handle. Break the dough into flakes.
6. Bake in the 225 degree F oven for 35-45 minutes until the flakes are a medium brown. Check in at minute 25 to make sure that the flakes haven’t browned too quickly.
7. Leaf the flakes out, uncovered for the next 12 hours to allow the flakes to crisp up even more.
*You can use another piece of parchment paper for the bottom layer but there will be more chance that the dough will burn.