Greetings funky french fry fans.
Today I’m going to show you how to make low carb french fries out of an unassuming tuber called a daikon radish. When you come across it in a supermarket, it often looks like this:
You would do well to make a friend of the daikon radish, if you have not already.
That’s because it’s often used to as a stand-in for potatoes in low carb cookery. And for good reason! This root vegetable has just 4g net carb per 1 cup serving, opposed to potatoes, which have 28g net carbs.
So today I thought I would share a recipe for low carb daikon gravy fries.
But a word of warning before we begin. Daikon radish french fries are not the same as normal potato french fries. Your non-diet friends aren’t going to be fooled into thinking they are eating real, high carb french fries.
No ma’am, these daikon radish french fries are their own, funky thing.
But dip these French fries in some homemade low carb gravy, and they are kind of great.
Not potato great, mind you, but great for a radish. So let’s make some funky fresh daikon french fries, shall we?
You start with 2 medium sized daikon radishes.
Peel the skins off.
Cut the radishes into 1/2 x 1/2 x 3 inch pieces.
Add the daikon radishes to a medium sized bowl and soak them in water for 20 minutes to wash off any starch on the radishes.
Drain the liquid in a colander and pat the radishes dry with paper towels.
Toss with 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil until all surfaces are covered.
Add to an air fryer basket and air fry at 375 degrees F for 9 minutes. If you don’t have an air fryer, you can bake the radish fries in the oven at 400 degrees F for 50 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Flip the fries and cook for another 8 minutes until browned around the edges.
Drain the grease on a paper towel covered plate. Salt as desired.
And there you have it.
In about 30 minutes, you’ll have a big plate of daikon french fries with just 3g net carbs per serving. I threw in a recipe for beef gravy to make the whole thing a little more french fry-ish. And if you’ve come this far, you might as well go all in and slather the fries with gravy, melted cheese and bacon bits . Because the great thing about this low carb diet is that you can eat all the gravy, cheese and bacon that you like.
It’s just potatoes that you need to find a work-around for.
Daikon Radish Gravy Fries [Low Carb & Keto]
This recipe for daikon radish gravy fries is total comfort food. And each serving of fries has just 3g net carbs.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 17
- Total Time: 32 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Air Fryer
- Cuisine: American
Daikon French Fries:
2 whole daikon radishes, peeled and cut into 1/2 x 3 inch matchsticks
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
salt to taste
2 cups beef broth
1/2 cup onion, roughly chopped
2 large egg yolks, beaten
1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/4 cup unsalted butter
FOR THE FRENCH FRIES:
1. Peel the daikon radishes and slice them into 1/2 x 1/2 x 3 inch matchsticks
2. Add them to a medium sized bowl and cover with water. Soak for 10 minutes. (This will remove the starch on the radishes.)
3. Drain the water through a colander and pat the daikon fries with paper towels until dried.
4. Add fries to a medium sized bowl and add the olive oil. Toss until all surfaces are covered in oil.
5. BAKED METHOD: Add oiled daikon radishes to a large cookie sheet. Bake at 40 degrees F for 50 minutes, flipping halfway through.
6. AIR FRYER METHOD*: Working in batches, place fries in the basket of an air fryer in a single later. Air fry at 375 degrees F for 9 minutes.
7. Open the air fryer and stir. Air fry for 8 minutes more.
8. Remove the fries and drain them on paper towel covered plates.
9. Salt the fries as desired.
FOR THE GRAVY
1. Add beef broth to a medium sized saucepan and simmer for 10 minutes to reduce.
2. Add onion and broth to a high powdered blender and blend for 1 minute.
3. Return broth to the pan and simmer for 3 minutes.
4. Remove 1/3 cup broth from the pan and quickly whisk into the beaten egg yolk.
5. Whisk the egg yolk mixture back into the broth in the saucepan and stir until gravy thickens somewhat, 2-3 minutes.
6. Sprinkle xanthan gum onto the pan and quickly whisk it into the the gravy. Cook until thickened more, 2-3 minutes.
7. Stir in butter and mix until fully combined.
*I prefer using my air fryer for this recipe but the oven is fine.
Nutritional Info for Gravy:
Serving Size: 1/4 cup Yield: 2 cups
Calories: 73 Fat: 7g Carbohydrate: 1g Fiber: <1g Protein: 1g
Nutritional Info for Daikon French Fries below:
- Calories: 40
- Fat: 2
- Carbohydrates: 5
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 1
Keywords: Low Carb Daikon French Fries, Keto Daikon French Fries, Low Carb Gravy, Keto Gravy
If you liked this low carb daikon radish recipe, then you might like my recipes for Scalloped Daikon Radish Casserole, Daikon Radish Latkes or New England Clam Chowder.
I’ve included links to the specialty ingredients used in this recipe. You should know that these are Amazon Associates links, so I’ll receive a small commission if you buy something.5