This recipe for daikon radish gravy fries is total comfort food. And each serving of fries has just 3g net carbs.
Daikon French Fries:
2 whole daikon radishes, peeled and cut into 1/2 x 3 inch matchsticks
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
salt to taste
2 cups beef broth
1/2 cup onion, roughly chopped
2 large egg yolks, beaten
1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/4 cup unsalted butter
FOR THE FRENCH FRIES:
1. Peel the daikon radishes and slice them into 1/2 x 1/2 x 3 inch matchsticks
2. Add them to a medium sized bowl and cover with water. Soak for 10 minutes. (This will remove the starch on the radishes.)
3. Drain the water through a colander and pat the daikon fries with paper towels until dried.
4. Add fries to a medium sized bowl and add the olive oil. Toss until all surfaces are covered in oil.
5. BAKED METHOD: Add oiled daikon radishes to a large cookie sheet. Bake at 40 degrees F for 50 minutes, flipping halfway through.
6. AIR FRYER METHOD*: Working in batches, place fries in the basket of an air fryer in a single later. Air fry at 375 degrees F for 9 minutes.
7. Open the air fryer and stir. Air fry for 8 minutes more.
8. Remove the fries and drain them on paper towel covered plates.
9. Salt the fries as desired.
FOR THE GRAVY
1. Add beef broth to a medium sized saucepan and simmer for 10 minutes to reduce.
2. Add onion and broth to a high powdered blender and blend for 1 minute.
3. Return broth to the pan and simmer for 3 minutes.
4. Remove 1/3 cup broth from the pan and quickly whisk into the beaten egg yolk.
5. Whisk the egg yolk mixture back into the broth in the saucepan and stir until gravy thickens somewhat, 2-3 minutes.
6. Sprinkle xanthan gum onto the pan and quickly whisk it into the the gravy. Cook until thickened more, 2-3 minutes.
7. Stir in butter and mix until fully combined.
*I prefer using my air fryer for this recipe but the oven is fine.
Nutritional Info for Gravy:
Serving Size: 1/4 cup Yield: 2 cups
Calories: 73 Fat: 7g Carbohydrate: 1g Fiber: <1g Protein: 1g
Nutritional Info for Daikon French Fries below:
Keywords: Low Carb Daikon French Fries, Keto Daikon French Fries, Low Carb Gravy, Keto Gravy