Low Carb Keto Eggs in Hell
Today's recipe comes from deep inside the depths of Hell.
Just kidding. We're just making eggs in tomato sauce.
I'm not sure why they call this dish Eggs in Hell.
Maybe because it's spicy? No telling, but I do know that it is super delicious. The basic recipe is eggs poached in a spicy tomato sauce. But I've vegged it up a bit by adding in onions, peppers and eggplant. It gives it a nice ratatouille-esque vibe.
This Eggs in Hell recipe got me thinking about a story I heard once. It's about the industrialist Andrew Carnegie and his business partner, Henry Clay Frick. The two once worked side by side but then they had a serious falling out. On his deathbed, Carnegie asked to speak with Frick, who responded with a note that read, "Tell him I'll see him in Hell."
Dang! Way to hold a grudge, Carnegie.
Low Carb Eggs and Eggplant in Hell
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 medium sized eggplant, cubed
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 small onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 (15 oz) can of tomato sauce
3 tablespoons Harissa (spicy or mild depending on taste)
1 tablespoon Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
6 large eggs
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped for garnish
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large frying pan over medium high heat.
2. Add onions and peppers and cook for 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
3. Add 2 more tablespoons of oil to the pan and the eggplant. Cook for 10 minutes.
3. Add the Harissa, salt, pepper, sweetener, and tomato sauce to the pan and simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Make 6 wells in the sauce with a spoon. Break the eggs into the wells. Cover the pan and cook for 5-6 minutes until the eggs are set and the whites are opaque.
5. Top with chopped parsley and serve immediately.
PREP TIME: 10 MIN COOK TIME: 28 MIN
NUTRITION INFORMATION: Calories: 281 Fat: 18g Protein: 11g Carbs: 18g Fiber 7g Net Carbs 11g