Summer is finally here and the rhubarb is back in season.
It’s time to break out the excited gifs.
Today I’m going to share a recipe for low carb Keto lemon flan with rhubarb sauce.
It’s a creamy citrus custard surrounded by a nice tart rhubarb sauce. Rhubarb is acceptable on a low carb diet because it is a vegetable masquerading as a fruit. It is basically inedible on its own, but simmer it with a little sweetener and you’ve got a great imitation of a fruit. It’s just perfect for ice cream, jam, cookie filling or cobbler.
So let the rhubarb season begin!
Low Carb Keto Lemon Flan with Rhubarb Sauce
This recipe for low carb lemon flan with rhubarb sauce is a summery dessert with only 4g net carbs per serving.
- Prep Time: 10
- Total Time: 10
- Yield: 3 servings 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Spanish
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 kettle boiling water
- 1 cup rhubarb, diced
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and set a kettle of water to boil. Get out a casserole dish.
2. In a medium sized bowl, mix cream, sweetener, salt and vanilla. Mix until the sweetener is dissolved.
3. In a separate medium sized bowl, whisk together the eggs and egg yolk. Slowly add into the cream mixture, stirring until the egg and cream are smooth and combined.
4. Pour the liquid into 3 ramekins. Place the ramekins into a casserole dish and put it onto the oven shelf. Fill the casserole dish with boiled water so that it surrounds the ramekins in a water bath.
5. Bake at 350 degrees F for roughly 45-50 minutes, until the flan is set. It should have a firm surface.
6. Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then put them in the refrigerator to chill for at least 2 hours.
7. For the sauce: Add water, rhubarb and sweetener to a medium sized sauce pan. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 10 minutes until softened.
8. Add to a blender or small food processor and process until smooth. Test for sweetness and add more sweetener if desired. Chill in the refrigerator until the flan is ready.
9. When flan is ready to serve, take a knife and gently cut around the edges of the ramekin.
10. Put a plate on top of the ramekins and then invert it. Jiggle it lightly until the flan releases onto the plate.
11. Pour rhubarb sauce around each flan.
- Calories: 355
- Fat: 34
- Carbohydrates: 5
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 7
Keywords: Low Carb Flan, Keto Flan, Low Carb Custard, Keto Custard
If you liked this recipe for flan, then you might like my recipes for Creme Caramel, Egg Custard, or Coconut Custard.
I’ve included links to the specialty ingredients used in this recipe. You should know that these are Amazon Associates links, so I’ll receive a small commission if you buy something.