Welp, it’s January and my fat pants are getting pretty tight.
Time for some new food resolutions to try and lose a little weight. I’m thinking about taking the plunge and going Whole30. This is an elimination diet where you give up just about everything except meats, fruits and vegetables for 30 days. It’s hardcore, but people love it. I can already see the main problem I’m going to have though. No dairy. This is very bad news indeed.
I’m like Wallace and Gromit when it comes to cheese.
Cheese is the cornerstone of Low Carb/ Ketogenic diets. It holds everything together, even the desserts. So I’m going to do one last great hoorah before I cut it out of my diet for a month.
It’s a recipe for the classic bakery treat, the bear claw.
I was inspired to attempt a bear claw by the mother daughter team at Simply So Healthy. They came up with a bear claw recipe that uses “fathead” mozzarella cheese dough and a homemade almond paste filling to recreate this high carb treat. For my version, I’ve changed up the dough a bit and added a simple icing. But at heart, it remains… Cheese, glorious cheese.
You’ll never be far from my thoughts, dear friend.
Low Carb Keto Bear Claw
These low carb bear claw pastries use Fathead dough to keep the net carb count down to 4g.
- Prep Time: 25
- Cook Time: 28
- Total Time: 53 minutes
- Yield: 3 bear claws
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- 1 1/2 cup part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons (1 oz) cream cheese
- 1 cup super fine almond flour
- 1 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
- 1/4 cup Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 tablespoon butter, melted
- 3/4 cup raw slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener
- 1 1/2 tablespoon butter, roughly chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 1 egg, beaten as an egg wash
- ¼ cup powdered Swerve or equivalent powdered sweetener
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. Place the mozzarella cheese and cream cheese in a medium sized bowl and microwave in 30 second increments, stirring in between, until fully melted and almost liquid.
3. In your stand mixer (using the dough hook attachment), add the almond meal , sweetener and Xanthan Gum and mix well. If you don’t have a stand mixer, that’s ok. You’ll just need to use a little elbow grease to mix and knead the dough.
4. Add the eggs and melted butter to the dry ingredients and mix well.
5. Add the hot melted cheese to the stand mixer and allow it to knead the dough until all the ingredients are fully combined. (Or just use your hands to knead the dough.)
6. Turn the dough out onto the parchment covered cookie sheet. Shape the dough into a rectangle. Add a layer of parchment on top. Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough into an rectangle that is about 8 x 12 inches.
7. Add the almond filling ingredients to a food processor or high powered blender and pulse until the mixture reaches a mealy consistency.
8. Spoon the almond mixture on half of the long side of the dough. Leave 1/2 inch on the edges to seal the dough together. Using a pancake turner, carefully loose the dough from the parchment and fold the dough in half, so that the filling is covered.
9. Press along the outer edge to seal the pastry.
10. Cut the pastry crosswise into 3 equal sections. Separate them on the cookie sheet and seal the sides that have been exposed by the cuts. Make 4 small cuts on the sealed end of each bear claw to create the five toes. Spread the toes out.
11. Brush the pastries with the egg wash, then sprinkle the sliced almonds on each bear claw.
12. Bake in the 350 degree F oven until golden brown, about 23-25 minutes. Allow to completely cool.
13. Mix together the icing ingredients. It should be thin enough to drizzle over each pastry. If it’s too thick to drizzle, then add a little more cream until the consistency is right. Drizzle each bear claw with the icing.
- Serving Size: 1/2 of a bear claw
- Calories: 372
- Fat: 30
- Carbohydrates: 8
- Fiber: 4
- Protein: 16
Keywords: Low Carb Bear Claw, Keto Bear Claw, Sugar-Free Bear Claw
You’ll need these specialty ingredients:
If you liked this Fathead dough pastry, then you might like my recipes for Fruit Filled Cookies, Chocolate Rugelach and Chocolate Babka.