This low carb beef pho recipe uses shirataki noodles to keep the carb count down to 2g net carbs.
1. Mix together all broth ingredients in a large soup pot. Bring the broth to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover and continue simmering for 30 minutes to give time for all the spices and aromatics to infuse in the broth.
2. While the broth is simmering, put the beef on a plate, cover with plastic wrap, and freeze for 15 minutes. The edges of the beef should feel firm to the touch, but the beef should not be frozen through.
3. Remove the beef from the freezer and immediately use your sharpest knife to slice the beef into very thin slices. Slice across the grain, and aim for slices no thicker than 1/4-inch. Once sliced, keep the beef covered and refrigerated until ready to serve.
4. Add the shirataki noodles to a colander and rinse with warm water.
5. After the broth has simmered for 30 minutes, strain out the aromatics with a sieve. Return to the soup pot. Place the broth back over low heat and keep it just below a simmer — you should see a fair amount of steam, but the broth should not be boiling. The broth needs to be quite hot to cook the beef.
6. Divide the rinsed noodles between 4 serving bowls and top with a few slices of raw beef. Arrange the beef in a single layer so that the slices will cook evenly in the broth.
7. Ladle the steaming broth into each bowl, pouring it evenly over the beef in order to cook it. The beef should immediately start to turn opaque.
8. Top each bowl with scallions and cilantro and squeeze 1 quarter lime into each bowl. Set out the hot sauce, if using.
Keywords: Low Carb Pho, Keto Pho, Paleo Pho