These low carb beignet’s have all the goodness of the original but with less than 1g net net carb each.
3/4 cup warm water (as warm as bath water)
1 teaspoon sugar*
1 envelope dry yeast
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
4 – 4 1/2 cups Carbquik Baking Mix
2 tablespoons Spectrum or equivalent shortening
vegetable or coconut oil**
1/2 cup Confectioner’s Swerve or equivalent powdered sweetener
1. Mix together water, sugar and yeast in a large bowl. Set aside for 10 minutes until frothy.
2. In a medium sized bowl, mix together egg, granulated sweetener and heavy cream.
3. Add egg mixture to yeast mixture and stir to combine.
4. Add in 2 cups of Carbquik and stir to combine. Add shortening and mix well.
5. Mix in another 2 cups of Carbquik until a dough forms. You should be able to knead the dough. Add more Carbquik until it is kneadable.
6. Sprinkle some Carbquik onto the counter and knead the dough until smooth, about 1 minute.
7. Grease a large bowl. Add the dough to the bowl, then flip the dough so that both sides are coated. Cover with a towel and allow to rise for 1 hour. It will only rise a small amount.
8. Fill a large skillet or dutch oven with 2-3 inches of vegetable or coconut oil. Heat to 350 degrees F.
9. Roll out the dough until it’s somewhere between 1/8 and 1/4 inch thick. Cut into 2 inch x 2 inch squares.
10. Add the squares of dough, 4 at a time, to the skillet and cook until golden. If the beignets don’t immediately float, then the oil is not hot enough. Open one to make sure that they are cooked all the way through. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels.
11. Sprinkle with powdered sweetener and serve warm.
*The sugar will be converted to alcohol and carbon dioxide in the fermentation process so the carbohydrates are cancelled out. The sugar has been left out of the nutritional info.
**I estimated the amount of oil used as 2 tablespoons in the nutritional info.
Keywords: Low Carb Beignets, Sugar Free Beignets, Carbquik Beignets