Low Keto Carb Big Mac
My Mom had this great joke that she used to tell back in the 80's.
The set up is incredibly long, so I'll just skip to the punchline. "You'd cry too if you had two obese Patties, special Ross, Les who cheats and picks his bunions on a Sesame Street bus!"
It was, of course, a play on the Big Mac commercials at the time which advertised "Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun". (above)
Well, today we are going to attempt a low carb version of the Big Mac.
We'll make the beef patty, special sauce and sesame seed bun from scratch to make it low carb.
But for our version, I decided to be a bit more realistic. I tried making two patties and three layers of bun, but it was just a hot mess. It was like something that Shaggy and Scooby might make. So I ended up starting all over again with just one patty and two slices of bun. Much easier to eat. So the jingle for our burger would have to be: "One all beef patty, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a fathead bun".
Big Mac's acomin'!
Low Carb Big Mac
sesame seed bun:
1 cup shredded mozzarella
2 oz cream cheese
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups almond flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon butter, melted
2 teaspoons sesame seeds
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons sour cream
2 tablespoons sugar free ketchup
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener
pinch of salt
burger and toppings:
1 pound ground chuck
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 slices American cheese
6 slices dill pickle
3 tablespoons white onion, minced
1 1/2 cup iceberg lettuce, finely shredded
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. Mix almond flour, salt and baking powder together in a medium sized bowl.
3. In a medium sized microwave safe bowl, microwave cream cheese and mozzarella cheese in 30 second increments, stirring after each time. Cook until completely melted and combined, about 90 seconds.
4. Mix eggs into the cheese mixture until smooth and combined. Slowly mix in dry ingredients until a dough forms.
5. Divide the dough into 3 balls. Place on the cookie sheet and flatten slightly with the palm of your hand.
6. Brush the tops with melted butter and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake until golden, 10-12 minutes.
7. While the buns are cooking, you can mix up the special sauce. Whisk together all the sauce ingredients.
8. Divide the ground beef into three balls and press down on them to form patties. Make them a little bit wider than the buns because they will shrink as you cook them.
9. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the burgers for 4 minutes on one side, flip it and cook for 3 more minutes. Top the burgers with cheese slices and cook for 1 more minute with a lid on to melt the cheese. Drain the burgers on a paper towel.
10. Cut the buns in half. Add a smear of sauce to the bottom of the bun. Add a handful of lettuce. Top with the patty and melted cheese. Add another smear of sauce to the top of the bun. Add 2 pickle slices and a tablespoon of minced onion to the top of the bun. Carefully put the top of the bun onto the bottom.
PREP TIME: 15 MIN COOK TIME: 22 MIN
NUTRITIONAL INFO: Calories 1167 Fat 94g Protein 67g Carb 20g Fiber 7g Net Carbs 13g