Low Carb Keto Blue Velvet Cupcakes
Today's recipe is for Blue Velvet cupcakes, so I thought I would talk a little bit about David Lynch's 1986 film, Blue Velvet.
It just seems fitting.
But none of the clips I found online seemed appropriate. They either had Dennis Hopper and were terrifying or they had Kyle Maclachlan and Laura Dern and were dreamy and sleep inducing.
Luckily, I struck upon a solution to my Blue Velvet problem.
I made a gif that captures the very best moment of the film. It's the scene when Maclachlan and Dern are walking down the street and talking about this and that. He talks a little bit about the human ear he found earlier in the day. Then suddenly, apropos of nothing, he says "You know the chicken walk?". She does not, so he proceeds to do an uncanny impression of a chicken. It looks like this:
So there you go. Now you've seen the best part of Blue Velvet, so you don't have to see the whole film. You're welcome.
You will probably thank me for this Blue Velvet cupcake recipe too. It is just as dreamy as its inspiration (but there are fewer human ears involved!). This cupcake is just like its cousin the Red Velvet cupcake, in everything but its color. It's a remarkably moist low carb vanilla cupcake with just a hint of chocolate. And it only clocks in at 2g net carb per cupcake. Not too shabby.
Welp, now that the cupcakes are out of the way, I'd better leave you to it. I just have one last question for you.
You know the chicken walk?
Low Carb Blue Velvet Cupcakes
3 large eggs, beaten
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup full fat canned coconut milk, well mixed
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 tablespoons Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon blue food coloring
3 1/2 oz cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 tablespoons powdered Swerve or equivalent powdered sweetener
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 drop blue food coloring (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a cupcake pan with 9 liners.
2. Melt the butter in the microwave and set aside to cool a little.
3. In a medium sized bowl, sift together the dry ingredients and mix well.
4. Stir the melted butter and coconut milk together. Add in the beaten eggs, and vanilla extract.
5. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet until well combined.
6. Add the blue food coloring and mix well. If the batter seems too thick add more coconut milk. It should resemble cake or pancake batter.
7. Fill the cupcake wells with batter 3/4 of the way up.
8. Bake for 20 minutes until the tops spring back lightly when touched.
9. Allow to cool
10. Mix the cream cheese, powdered sweetener, vanilla extract and butter with an electric mixer until soft and well combined. Mix in one drop of blue food coloring if desired.
11. Frost the cupcakes.
PREP TIME: 10 MIN COOK TIME: 20 MIN
NUTRITIONAL INFO: Servings: Calories 195 Total Fat 19g Protein 4g Carbs 3g Fiber 1g Net Carbs 2g