Happy Thanksgiving everybody! Time to start the holiday preparations in earnest.
In our family, that means dusting off the old White Christmas DVD. It’s a family tradition. Luckily, I was able to find my favorite part of White Christmas on the Youtube. (video below)
This is the very best number in the whole picture.
Today I thought I’d make a holiday inspired treat. So I came up with a low carb version of the classic braided danish. I used fathead dough, which is made from mozzarella cheese, almond flour, xanthan gum, butter and eggs. I also added in some sweetener to make it into more of a sweet treat.
And so ladies and gentlemen, with out further ado, here’s how to make a low carb braided cranberry danish.
Make the dough and roll it out into an oval shape. The dough should be as thin as you can reasonably make it, between 1/8 – 1/16 of an inch thick. Cook your cranberries on the stove and then add them to the middle of the dough. Cut 1 inch thick strips around the outer edges of the pastry and fold them over the filling. Seal the end of the pastry and cut off any overage. Bake it for 20 minutes in a 375 degree F oven.
And that just about does it for me. Have a great holiday and remember this sage advice from the Hanes Sisters:
“Lord help the mister, who comes between me and my sister.
But Lord help the sister who comes between me and my man!”
Low Carb Keto Braided Cranberry Danish
This recipe for a low carb braided cranberry danish uses Fathead dough to keep the carb count down to just 4g net carbs per slice.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 13 slices
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- 3 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 4 tablespoons cream cheese (2oz)
- 2 cups almond flour
- 2 teaspoons Xanthan Gum
- 1/2 cup Swerve or equivalent sweetener
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 (12 oz) bag of cranberries
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup Swerve or equivalent sweetener and
- 2 tablespoons Swerve or equivalent sweetener , or to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. Place the mozzarella cheese and cream cheese in a medium sized dish and microwave in 30 sec increments, stirring in between, until fully melted and almost liquid.
3. In your stand mixer (using the dough hook attachment), add the almond meal , sweetener and Xanthan Gum and mix well. If you don’t have a stand mixer, that’s ok. You’ll just need to use a little elbow grease to mix and knead the dough.
5. Add the eggs and 1 tablespoon of the melted butter to the dry ingredients and mix well.
6. Add the hot melted cheese to the stand mixer and allow it to knead the dough until all the ingredients are fully combined. Around 5-10 minutes. (Or just use your hands to knead the dough. It’s not going to want to combine, so you must persevere.)
7. Turn the dough out onto the parchment covered cookie sheet. Add a layer of parchment or wax paper on top. Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough into an oval shape that is 1/8 – 1/16 inches this. The thinner you can roll the dough, the better.
8. Add the cranberries, 1/4 cup water and sweetener to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil on medium high heat. Once it boils, lower the heat to medium and cook for another 8-10 minutes until all the cranberries have popped and the sauce has thickened. Test for sweetness and add more sweetener if desired.
9. Place the cranberry mixture into the center of the dough, running the length of the pastry.
10. Cut 1 inch wide strips around the edges of the dough.
11. Gently fold the dough strips over the cranberries and seal at the end.
12. Brush the pretzels with the remaining 1 tablespoon of melted butter.
13. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Check to see if it has browned nicely. If so then cover the dough lightly with tin foil and bake for another 5-8 minutes.
14. Remove them from the oven and allow to cool on the pan for a few minutes, and then transfer to a cooling rack.
- Calories: 213
- Fat: 17
- Carbohydrates: 7
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 12
Keywords: Low Carb Braided Danish, Keto Braided Danish, Low Carb Cranberry Danish, Keto Cranberry Danish
You’ll need these specialty ingredients: