I found the most wonderful thing yesterday.
It’s a video clip of Mister Rogers learning how to breakdance. (video below)
It completely took me back to when I was a kid watching his show on PBS. He had this endless curiosity about the world and the people in it. You can see it in this scene. He is absolutely fascinated by this kid who knows how to breakdance. It fills me with happiness.
Another good memory from childhood is eating Chinese food with my folks.
My family used to always order cashew beef when we splurged and went out to the one Chinese restaurant in our small town. It was ever so fancy. (But I remember helplessly giggling over the dish called “The Poo Poo Platter”. We could never order that one with a straight face.)
It turns out that cashew beef is really easy to cook up yourself at home. To make this low carb version of the dish, I adapted a great recipe for cashew chicken that I found on Keto Connect. It clocks in at only 10g net carbs and tastes like a million bucks. It’s really good.
But enough food talk, time to get back to breakdancing with Mister Rogers. Ciao!
Low Carb Keto Cashew Beef
This recipe for low carb cashew beef is a low carb take on a classic Chinese take-out meal.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 25
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Chinese
- 1 pound sirloin steak, sliced into thin strips
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat a large frying pan or wok over low heat and toast the cashews until they start to lightly brown and become fragrant, about 8 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside.
2. Increase heat to high and add 2 tablespoons of canola oil to pan. In 2 batches, take steak and lay flat in the pan to sear and the flip over to cook other side. Once each batch is done, remove from the pan and set aside.
3. Add one more tablespoon of oil to the pan. Add in the pepper, broccoli, garlic, ginger, salt and pepper. Cook on high for 2-3 minutes.
4. Add beef, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, and cashews to the pan. Cook on high and allow the liquid to reduce down until it is a sticky consistency. There should be no liquid left in the pan when it’s done.
- Calories: 513
- Fat: 36
- Carbohydrates: 13
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 35
Keywords: Low Carb Cashew Beef, Keto Cashew Beef, Paleo Cashew Beef
If you like this low carb Chinese food, then you might like my recipes for Beef Lo Mein, Cold Noodle Salad or Cabbage Wrapped Pork Dumplings.