It’s New Year’s Eve and I’ve just spent the morning making deviled eggs and watching funny videos on the old Internet.
The one below is really good. It’s James Corden and Meghan Trainor doing a parody of her song “All About That Bass.” But in this New Year’s version they are “All About This Change”. A favorite line: “I’ve got all the wrong junk in all the wrong places.” They make New Year’s resolutions to get fit, but soon slink back to their old ways. As one does.
These two are truth tellers when it comes to New Year’s Resolutions.
And I’ll admit, I’ve been a bit wobbly on the resolution eats this holiday season. Did I take a few detours off my low carb diet? Yes I did. And were they sugary and delicious? They most certainly were. But a new year is coming. Time to get serious again.
These low carb deviled eggs are a great place to start.
I based my recipe on one for Loaded Deviled Eggs that I found on the Six Sisters Stuff website. It’s got the same ingredients that you’d use for loaded potatoes, like sour cream, cheddar cheese and bacon, just repurposed for a deviled egg. I also added in some scallions and fresh parsley to lighten it up a touch. Because you know what they say,
“It’s all about that change, ’bout that change, this New Year’s.”
Low Carb Keto Deviled Bacon and Eggs
These low carb devilled eggs are loaded with cheese, sour cream and bacon.
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 40
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 2 dozen eggs 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: American
- 2 dozen large eggs, hard-boiled, cooled and halved
- 1 tablespoon scallions, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- 3 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup finely shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- fresh parsley
1. Cook the hard boiled eggs in an Instant Pot (recommended) or on the stovetop. For the Instant Pot, you steam the eggs in the steamer basket for 5 minutes on High Pressure. Dunk the eggs in a bowl of ice water to cook and then peel. This method makes the eggs very easy to peel. Alternately, you can place your eggs in a pot and cover with cold water by 1 inch. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then cover, remove from the heat and set aside 8 to 10 minutes. Drain, cool in ice water and peel. Allow to cool and then cut in half.
2. For the bacon bits, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and cover a lipped cookie sheet with tin foil. Place the bacon on the cookie sheet and bake for 15 – 20 minutes until crispy. Drain on paper towels and then crumble.
3. In a medium sized bowl, mix together the egg yolks, scallions, parsley, vinegar, cheese, mustard, 3 slices of the crumbled bacon, salt, pepper and sour cream. Mash the yolks to fully combine. If you need a little more liquid to make it smooth and spreadable, then you can add more sour cream.
4. Spoon or pipe the yolk mixture back into egg halves.
5. Sprinkle with remaining bacon bits and top each egg with a sprig of parsley. Refrigerator until you are ready to serve.
- Serving Size: 1 egg
- Calories: 103
- Fat: 7
- Carbohydrates: 1
- Fiber: 0
- Protein: 7
Keywords: Low Carb Deviled Eggs, Keto Deviled Eggs, Paleo Deviled Eggs
If you liked this low carb appetizer, then you might like my recipe for Caramelized Onion and Bacon Mini Pepper Poppers.