One good thing about food blogging is that I can eat whatever I make in the morning for lunch.
So today I’m feasting on blistered green beans with sliced almonds, pickled garlic and red onions and a lovely tahini dipping sauce. It’s a total yum.
I’m also geeking out on a new movie that’s about to come out, called The Favourite. (trailer below)
This historical comedy takes place in 18th Century England and is the true story of the rivalry between two cousins over the affection of Queen Anne. The three leads are played by funny ladies, Olivia Colman, Rachel Weisz and Emma Stone. And by all accounts the film is hilarious. Peter Bradshaw of The Guardian wrote, “It’s a rousingly nasty, bleary, hungover punchup.” All that and it’s a period piece? This sounds like just my kind of film.
And I’ll tell you what, these green beans are just my kind if appetizer.
To make this healthy vegetarian appetizer, you start by quick pickling garlic and red onion in vinegar.
If you want the beans to have a little heat, you can add in half of a jalapeño pepper here. Then you whip up a mild dipping sauce made from tahini, greek yogurt and vinegar. And finally, you blister a pound of green beans on the stove and toss them with the pickled vegetables. And you’re done. You’ll have a killer app with only 5g net carbs per serving.
I dare say that even Queen Anne would be impressed with this one.
Low Carb Keto Blistered Green Beans with Tahini Sauce
These low carb blistered green beans with creamy tahini sauce are to die for.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 8
- Total Time: 23 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: American
3 tablespoons white distilled vinegar, divided
1/2 red or green jalapeño pepper, minced (optional)
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons red onion, minced
2 tablespoons almonds, toasted
1/2 cup full fat plain Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons tahini
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 pound green beans, with stem ends cut
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1. In a small bowl, mix together 2 tablespoons vinegar, garlic, red onion, and jalapeño pepper, if using. Set aside in the refrigerator.
2. Toast almonds in a large ungreased skillet over Medium High heat until browned, 3-4 minutes.
3. In a medium sized bowl, mix together yogurt, tahini, remaining 1 tablespoon vinegar and salt. Set aside in the refrigerator.
4. In a large bowl, toss green beans with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
5. Heat the large skillet over High heat until very hot. Add green beans to the pan and cook until charred but still crispy, about 4 minutes.
6. Return green beans to the large bowl and toss with the quick pickled garlic, onion and peppers. Allow to sit for a minute or two to absorb the flavoring.
7. Spoon the tahini sauce in a circle around the edge of a serving plate and top with green beans and toasted almonds.
8. Serve immediately.
- Calories: 141
- Fat: 10
- Carbohydrates: 8
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 6
Keywords: Low Carb Green Beans, Keto Green Beans, Paleo Green Beans
Here’s the cookbook that WPR found the recipe in: