Jim Gaffigan does a funny bit about kale.
“Can we stop with the kale propaganda? That stuff tastes like bug spray. I was looking at a can of bug spray. It said MADE WITH KALE.” – Jim Gaffigan
Ok, he’s not completely wrong.
It really does kind of taste like bug spray. But it’s so good for you! When people say “Eat your veggies” kale is what they are talking about. So we need to do everything in our power to make it taste better.
I’ve got two tips for successful kale consumption.
#1 Massage the leaves to make them less bitter and
#2 Coat the kale in a really good salad dressing.
If you follow these two rules, then you’ll get a super healthy kale salad that only vaguely tastes like bug spray.
Low Carb Keto Kale Salad with Lemon Shallot Vinaigrette
This is a tasty recipe for low carb kale salad with a lemon shallot vinaigrette. It’s a great lunch or dinner salad with only 5g net carbs.
- Prep Time: 10
- Total Time: 10
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: American
- 2 bunches kale
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon sminced shallots
- 1 1/2 teaspoonsdijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoonsred wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup extra – virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1. Clean the kale thoroughly. Remove the fibrous stems from the middle of the kale, and break into large bite sized pieces. Add the kale to a large salad bowl. Massage the kale with your hands for about three to five minutes, until the leaves are no longer bitter.
2. Make the dressing by adding the lemon zest, lemon juice, shallots, dijon mustard, and vinegar to a blender. Puree until smooth.
3. With the machine on, slowly add the olive oil until emulsified. Salt and pepper to taste.
4. Mix the kale and dressing in the large bowl. Sprinkle the slivered almonds on top.
- Calories: 193
- Fat: 15
- Carbohydrates: 9
- Fiber: 4
- Protein: 7
Keywords: Low Carb Kale Salad, Keto Kale Salad, Low Carb Shallot Vinaigrette, Keto Shallot Vinaigrette