Ok, ok. I know what you are thinking.
But no, there are no bananas in this recipe for low carb banana walnut bread. The recipe relies solely on banana extract and the power of suggestion.
But before I get to the recipe, I want to share something that I got a big kick out of.
It’s a video from a 1975 episode of the Cher Show, where Cher and Raquel Welch perform a saucy rendition of “I am a Woman”. (below) I love how over the top it is. It’s completely bananas.
As long as we’re talking bananas, let’s bake some low carb banana walnut bread.
Or maybe I should call it squash bread since we are going to ask a yellow squash to stand in for the bananas. But with enough banana extract, you won’t be able to tell the difference. You’ll have a tasty loaf of low carb banana walnut bread with only 4g net carb per slice. It’s really good, but please, try and enjoy it in moderation.
Don’t go bananas with it.
Low Carb Keto Banana Walnut Bread
This recipe for low carb keto banana walnut bread uses a mixture of yellow squash and banana extract to mimic the taste of bananas.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 1:00
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 12 slices
- Category: Bread
- Cuisine: American
- cooking spray
- 1 cup super fine almond flour
- 1 cup flaxseed meal
- 3/4 cup Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener
- 1/4 cup Isopure Whey Protein or equivalent zero carb protein powder
- 1/4 cup oat fiber
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 oz yellow squash (1/2 a squash), grated
- 5 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 teaspoons banana extract
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cut a piece of parchment paper to fit in and over the side of a loaf pan. You’ll use it to remove the bread to cool. Spray with non-stick cooking spray.
2. In medium sized mixing bowl, add almond flour, flaxseed meal, sweetener, whey protein, oat fiber, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Whisk together.
3. Grate the yellow squash and blot the liquid from it with paper towels. Add to a large bowl along with eggs, ricotta cheese, vanilla and banana extract. Mix well to combine.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix well.
5. Add batter to prepared loaf pan and use a spatula to smooth the top. Sprinkle walnuts over the top of the batter.
6. Bake for 55-65 minutes until browned on top and a toothpick in the middle comes out clean. Check in at minute 40 and place a sheet of aluminum foil over the top to prevent further browning.
7. Cool for 10 minutes in the pan. Cut around the edges of the pan and remove the loaf using the sides of parchment paper. Place loaf on cooling rack and cool for at least 10 more minutes before cutting.
- Calories: 193
- Fat: 14
- Carbohydrates: 9
- Fiber: 5
- Protein: 10
Keywords: Low Carb Banana Bread, Keto Banana Bread, Banana Bread
You’ll need these specialty ingredients:
If you liked this Banana Walnut Bread, then you might like my recipes for Honey Cake, Lemon Pound Cake or Pumpkin Mini Bundt Cakes.