This recipe for chicken mole enchilada casserole uses cauliflower tortillas to keep the carb count down and the veggie count up.
4 cups cauliflower, riced
4 large eggs, beaten
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
2 tablespoons chili powder
15 oz can of tomato sauce
1 1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper, optional
1/3 cup (2 oz) Lily’s Sugar-Free Chocolate Chips or equivalent
2 tablespoons Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener
1 pound cooked chicken breast, pulled
2 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Cut a medium sized cauliflower into florets. Use a food processor or high powered blender to process the cauliflower until it is in pieces a little smaller than grains of rice. Measure out 4 cups packed.
2. Add to a medium microwave safe bowl and microwave for 2 minutes. Give it a stir and then cook for another 2 minutes. Set aside to cool until cool enough to handle.
3. As it is cooling, make your mole sauce. In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add chili and arrowroot powders and cook for 2 minutes.
4. Add tomato sauce, water, oregano, cumin, cinnamon, salt, and cayenne pepper, if using. Bring to a low boil and simmer for 10 minutes until thickened, stirring occasionally. Add in chocolate chips and sweetener and stir until melted and combined. Test for flavor and adjust seasoning if desired.
5. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and cover a large 11 x 17 inch cookie sheet with parchment paper.
6. Add the cooled cauliflower to a clean tea towel and twist it until the liquid is released from the cauliflower rice. This will take some effort. You should get about a cup of liquid out.
7. Add cauliflower, eggs, salt and pepper back to the medium sized bowl and mix well.
8. Spread the cauliflower mixture over the bottom of the prepared cookie sheet from edge to edge in a large rectangle. It might be thin in places, that’s ok.
9. Bake the cauliflower tortillas for 15-17 minutes until browned around the edges. Allow to cool on the cookie sheet for a few minutes then cut the sheet of cauliflower in half. Then cut perpendicular to that in 1 1/2 inch strips.
10. Use a standard 9 x 13 inch casserole dish to assemble your enchilada casserole.
11. Add a few spoonfuls of mole sauce to the bottom of the casserole dish and spread it around to cover the whole bottom.
12. Add half of the cauliflower tortilla strips. There will be a little bit of space between each one.
Spread half of the chicken over the tortilla strips. Add half of the remaining mole sauce and then half of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
13. Cover the casserole loosely with aluminum foil and bake at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes.
14. Remove aluminum foil and cook for another 5 minutes until cheese on top starts to brown and mole sauce is bubbling.
15. Allow to cool in the pan for at least 15 minutes before cutting.
Keywords: Low Carb Enchilada Casserole, Keto Enchilada Casserole, Paleo Enchilada Casserole