Today we’re going to make a low carb version of everybody’s favorite dorm room meal: ramen noodles.
But first, a brief musical interlude.
I found this tidbit of musical history, and have been looking forward to sharing it ever since.
It’s a segment from the Judy Garland Show that aired in 1963. In this episode, Judy sings a couple of duets with the great Barbara Streisand. It’s a joy listen to these two song birds singing together. Their voices are like butter. Like two sticks of butter.
But enough dilly dally, it’s time to move on to low carb chicken ramen noodles.
I’ve replaced the classic ramen noodles with zero carb, zero calorie shirataki noodles. These noodles often go by the name “Miracle Noodles” because they seem too good to be true. The secret to shirataki noodles is that they are completely made of fiber, so the 1g carb per serving gets cancelled out by the 1g fiber. It’s a great solution for low carb dieters who miss noodles.
Just like Garland and Streisand, it’s a match made in heaven.
Low Carb Keto Chicken Ramen Soup
This recipe for Low Carb Keto Chicken Ramen Soup is a low carb take on a classic dorm room meal.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 17
- Total Time: 32 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Japanese
8 cups boiling water
2 1/2 tablespoons Better Than Bouillon or equivalent bouillon
2 1/2 tablespoons coconut aminos or soy sauce
salt and pepper to taste
1 rotisserie chicken
2 tablespoons rotisserie chicken pan juice
4 large eggs, soft boiled
2 (7oz) packages Miracle Noodles or equivalent shirataki noodles
4 scallions, sliced diagonally
cilantro leaves for garnish
1. Add eggs to a medium sized saucepan and fill with water to 1 inch above eggs. Bring to a rolling boil over High Heat. Lower the heat to Medium and boil for 5 minutes. (This will give them a soft yolk. For a harder yolk add 4 minutes to cook time.) Dunk eggs in cold water and peel them when they are cool enough to touch. Slice eggs in half.
2. In a medium sized saucepan, bring 8 cups water to a boil. Add bouillon, pan grease and coconut aminos or soy sauce to the pan and stir until dissolved. Salt and pepper to taste.
3. Pull the rotisserie chicken into bite sized pieces.
4. Slice scallions diagonally into 1 inch long pieces. Use the dark end as well as the light ends.
5. Add shirataki noodles to a colander and rinse with water.
6. Add shirataki noodles and chicken to the hot broth and cook until they are heated through.
7. Compose 4 large bowls of soup, adding 1/4 of the noodles, broth, scallions and eggs to each bowl. 8. Garnish with cilantro leaves and serve immediately.
Almost all of the carbohydrate comes from the Better Than Bouillon, so calculate your carb count based on how much of the broth you eat.
- Calories: 290
- Fat: 14
- Carbohydrates: 7
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 35
Keywords: Low Carb Ramen Noodle Soup, Keto Ramen Noodle Soup, Paleo Ramen Noodle Soup
If you like this noodle soup, then you might like my recipes for Egg Drop, Beef Noodle Pho or Shirataki Noodle Soup.
You’ll need these specialty ingredients: