Today I’m going to share a recipe for low carb chocolate dipped macaroons, but first I thought I’d tell you a little bit about where the cookie comes from. We have these cookies thanks to this lovely lady, Queen Catherine de Medici.
She was an Italian who married the king of France in the mid 1500’s.
At one point in her reign, she was considered the most powerful woman in all of Europe. (So she is my kind of gal.) And she brought some pretty great cookies to France from her home in Italy. They were called macaroons and they looked like this:
Macaroons, as we know them today, are generally made from egg whites, sugar and almonds or coconut.
If you notice, three of those ingredients are naturally low carb. So you don’t have to do too much to make the whole thing low carb. I just swapped out sugar for sugar-free sweetener, and then dipped the macaroons in melted sugar-free chocolate to give them a little extra oomph. And that was it. I had a delicious low carb cookie with only 1g net carbs each.
It’s truly a cookie fit for a queen.Print
Low Carb Keto Chocolate Dipped Coconut Macaroons
These low carb chocolate dipped coconut macaroon cookies are wonderful treats with only 1g net carbs each.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 15 macaroons
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: French
4 egg whites, room temperature
2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup unsweetened flaked coconut, (or a 1/2 cup more of shredded coconut)
1/4 cup Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener
1 pinch salt
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/3 cup Lilly’s Sugar-Free Chocolate Chips or equivalent sugar-free chocolate chips
1 tablespoon Powdered Swerve or equivalent powdered sweetener, optional
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F and cover a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. Add egg whites and salt to a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer until frothy.
3. Slowly add granulated sweetener to the egg whites and beat until soft glossy peaks form.
4. Fold in shredded and flaked coconut and almond extract.
5. Use a soup spoon to scoop out the mixture and form it into rounded mounds with your hands. Place each mound back onto the parchment paper you used before. You should get 14-15 cookies out of the mixture.
6. Bake for 10 minutes at 300 degrees F.
7. Turn the heat down to 265 degrees F and bake for another 20 minutes.
8. Remove from the oven and put the parchment paper, with the cookies still on it, onto a cooling rack. Cool for at least 30 minutes before dipping the cookies into chocolate.
9. Add chocolate chips to a small microwave safe bowl and microwave, in 30 second increments until fully melted, 60-90 seconds.
10. Mix in the powdered sweetener, if using, and allow the chocolate to cool down to room temperature, about 10 minutes.
11. Take each cooled cookie and dip it into the chocolate. Allow the chocolate to go about 1/4 inch up the sides of the cookies. Return the cookies to the parchment paper and put the parchment paper back onto the cookie sheet.
12. Refrigerate 15-20 minutes until chocolate has set.
- Serving Size: 1 macaroon
- Calories: 50
- Fat: 6
- Carbohydrates: 3
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 1
Keywords: Low Carb Macaroon, Keto Macaroon, Sugar-Free Macaroon