“I’ve got that sunshine in my pocket, got that good soul in my feet.” -Justin Timberlake
Why the Justin Timberlake? Well, I’ll tell you. It’s been raining for the last week, here in Pittsburgh. Cold November rain. But today, the sun finally came out, so I’ve been humming “Can’t Stop the Feeling” all morning since it’s the quintessential happy song. I just found the video for it and it is just wonderful. (video below) It’ll put a hop in your step all day.
But let’s talk cranberry meringue pie.
I am a huge fan of using cranberries in low carb cooking. They are almost inedible on their own, but add some sugar-free sweetener and you’ve got yourself a tasty sweet and sour blast of flavor.
So I figured cranberries would make for a really good meringue pie.
I had never heard of a cranberry meringue pie before, so I was kind of flying by the seat of my pants on this one. But I started at the beginning with a nice sturdy almond flour crust. Then I made a sugar-free cranberry custard to fill it with. And finally, I whipped up some egg whites with sugar-free sweetener for the meringue topping. And I was done. I had a delicious cranberry meringue pie with only 5g net carbs per slice.
This low carb cranberry meringue pie is a wonderful dessert to make over the holidays.
Just make sure to buy a few bags of cranberries at Thanksgiving during the brief window when they are in grocery stores. And then freeze them, if you are going to wait until Christmas to make this pie. But I can guarantee that you will be the belle of the ball if you bring this pie to a holiday party. So leave your pie at the dessert table and just dance, dance dance.
Cause you can’t stop the feeling!
Low Carb Keto Cranberry Meringue Pie
This low carb cranberry meringue pie is the perfect dessert to bring to holiday parties. And it’s got just 5g net carbs per slice.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 35
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 12 slices
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- 1 3/4 cups super fine almond flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup vanilla or plain whey protein
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 (12 oz) bag cranberries
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/4 cup Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Mix the almond flour and whey protein powder together in a medium sized bowl. Add the egg and melted butter and mix well.
3. Press the dough into the bottom and up the side of a glass or ceramic pie pan. Poke holes in the crust with a fork to let out steam.
4. Bake for 12-15 minutes until lightly browned around the edges. Remove from the oven and let it cool. Open the oven door to cool the oven down. Set the oven temperature to 300 degrees F.
5. Add cranberries, water, lemon juice and filling sweetener to a medium sized sauce pan. Heat over Medium heat until cranberries have popped and split, 5 minutes.
6. Add cranberry mixture to a food processor or high powered blender and process until smooth, 1-2 minutes.
7. Return cranberry mixture to the pan and add butter. Heat over Medium heat until butter melts completely.
8. In a medium sized bowl, whisk together eggs and egg yolks. Make sure to save the 2 extra egg whites for the meringue topping.
9. Whisk 1/2 cup of the hot cranberry mixture into the eggs to temper them. Return egg mixture to the pan and cook until mixture has thickened, about 5 minutes.
10. Mix in vanilla extract. Taste for sweetness and add more sweetener if desired. Take the sauce pan off the heat and set aside to cool.
11. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in a large bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Slowly add meringue sweetener and continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
12. Pour the cranberry filling into the pie pan.
13. Carefully dollop the meringue topping on top of the filling. Cover the whole surface, all the way to the edges of the crust. Swirl the meringue topping with the spoon.
14. Bake for 15-20 minutes at 300 degrees F or until meringue topping is golden and just barely firm to the touch. Let pie cool 20 minutes, then refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. There will be a good amount of clear liquid in the bottom of the pie pan when you cut into pie. Just leave it in the pie pan.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 282
- Fat: 24
- Carbohydrates: 8
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 11
Keywords: Low Carb Cranberry Meringue Pie, Keto Cranberry Meringue Pie, Low Carb Meringue Pie, Keto Meringue Pie
If you liked this low carb pie, then you might like my recipes for lemon meringue, chocolate silk or jello cream pies.
You’ll need 2 bags of Swerve for this recipe along with these specialty ingredients: