This low carb cranberry meringue pie is the perfect dessert to bring to holiday parties. And it’s got just 5g net carbs per slice.
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Mix the almond flour and whey protein powder together in a medium sized bowl. Add the egg and melted butter and mix well.
3. Press the dough into the bottom and up the side of a glass or ceramic pie pan. Poke holes in the crust with a fork to let out steam.
4. Bake for 12-15 minutes until lightly browned around the edges. Remove from the oven and let it cool. Open the oven door to cool the oven down. Set the oven temperature to 300 degrees F.
5. Add cranberries, water, lemon juice and filling sweetener to a medium sized sauce pan. Heat over Medium heat until cranberries have popped and split, 5 minutes.
6. Add cranberry mixture to a food processor or high powered blender and process until smooth, 1-2 minutes.
7. Return cranberry mixture to the pan and add butter. Heat over Medium heat until butter melts completely.
8. In a medium sized bowl, whisk together eggs and egg yolks. Make sure to save the 2 extra egg whites for the meringue topping.
9. Whisk 1/2 cup of the hot cranberry mixture into the eggs to temper them. Return egg mixture to the pan and cook until mixture has thickened, about 5 minutes.
10. Mix in vanilla extract. Taste for sweetness and add more sweetener if desired. Take the sauce pan off the heat and set aside to cool.
11. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in a large bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Slowly add meringue sweetener and continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
12. Pour the cranberry filling into the pie pan.
13. Carefully dollop the meringue topping on top of the filling. Cover the whole surface, all the way to the edges of the crust. Swirl the meringue topping with the spoon.
14. Bake for 15-20 minutes at 300 degrees F or until meringue topping is golden and just barely firm to the touch. Let pie cool 20 minutes, then refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. There will be a good amount of clear liquid in the bottom of the pie pan when you cut into pie. Just leave it in the pie pan.
Keywords: Low Carb Cranberry Meringue Pie, Keto Cranberry Meringue Pie, Low Carb Meringue Pie, Keto Meringue Pie