This recipe makes a big ole pot of Low Carb Keto Chicken, Shrimp and Sausage Gumbo. Perfect for a party.
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 cup onion, diced
1 cup yellow bell pepper, diced
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon ground paprika
2 bay leaves
1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, as desired
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
3 garlic cloves, minced
4 cups chicken broth, divided
1 1/2 pound skinless boneless chicken breast, fat trimmed
8 oz andouille sausage, sliced 1/4 inch thick
3 tablespoons arrowroot powder
1 (15oz) can diced tomatoes
1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
6 scallions, sliced
1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
1. In a large skillet or dutch oven, heat olive oil over Medium heat until shimmering. Add onions and yellow bell peppers and cook until softened, 5-7 minutes.
2. Stir in spices and garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute.
3. Stir in 2 cups chicken broth and the diced tomatoes. Add chicken in a single layer nestled in the broth. Bring to a simmer then cover with a lid and simmer until chicken is fork tender, 15-17 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate to cool.
4. Once it is cool enough to touch, pull the chicken into bite sized pieces.
5. Mix together the remaining broth with arrowroot powder to make a slurry and add to the pan. Add sausage to the pan.
6. Bring to a low boil and simmer for 25 minutes until thickened.
7. Add pulled chicken and shrimp to the pan and simmer for 10 minutes until shrimp is cooked through.
8. Remove bay leaves. Taste and adjust seasonings if desired.
9. Stir in scallions and vinegar and serve garnished with parsley.
Keywords: Low Carb Gumbo, Keto Gumbo, Paleo Gumbo