This recipe for Low Carb and Keto Ham and Cheese Panini is a tasty Italian cooked sandwich. It’s made with real yeast bread for a more authentic taste. And each slice of panini has just 6g net carbs.
Yeast Bread Rolls:
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm water, divided
1 teaspoon sugar*
1 envelope (2 1/4 teaspoons) active dry yeast
1 cup vital wheat gluten
1 cup super fine almond flour
1/4 cup flaxseed meal
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
8 slices (6 oz) mozzarella cheese
8 slices (5 oz) sliced ham
8 slices (5 oz) sopressata salami
4 thin slices tomato (1/2 a tomato)
1. In a small bowl, mix together 1/2 cup warm (like bath water) water, sugar and yeast. Cover the bowl and allow to sit until frothy with small bubbles, about 10 minutes. If the yeast isn’t frothy then the yeast is dead and you’ll need to start over with fresh yeast.
2. In a large bowl, mix together remaining dry ingredients. Sift them through a sifter or sieve.
3. Mix together the yeast mixture, remaining 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons water and 3 tablespoons olive oil. Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well until a wet dough forms.
4. Knead the dough for 3 minutes until it’s well combined. Don’t over knead.
5. Divide the dough in half and form it into 2 tube shapes. The dough loaves should be about 2 1/2 x 7 inches. Place the loaves onto a greased cookie sheet.
6. Preheat oven for 2-3 minutes until temperature reaches 100-110 degrees F. Put the dough in the warm oven to rise for 1 hour. At the end of the hour, the loaves should have risen to about 3 1/2 x 8 inches.
7. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
8. Brush the top of the loaves with the remaining 1/2 tablespoon olive oil. Bake for 15 minutes and then take the bread out of the oven and brush with olive oil again. Bake for another 10-15 minutes until the internal temperature reads between 200-210 degrees F. Put the thermometer all the way into the side of the loaf to get the most accurate reading.
9. Allow to cool for 1/2 hour before cutting each loaf in half horizontally.
10. Brush outside of the loaves with olive oil.
11. Layer the panini fillings inside the loaves. First 1/2 of the cheese, then 1/2 of the sopressata, then all of the ham, 1/2 of the sopressata, all of the tomato slices and remaining cheese slices.
12. Cook in panini press or in a skillet on the stove for about 10 minutes at Low heat, until cheese is melted and the meat is warmed through. If using the stove, then it should be about 3-5 minutes per side. But keep checking in to make sure the bread isn’t burning.
13. Cut each sandwich into thirds and serve immediately.
*The sugar will be converted to alcohol and carbon dioxide in the fermentation process so the carbohydrates are cancelled out. The sugar has been left out of the nutritional info.
Keywords: Low Carb Panini, Keto Panini, Low Carb Ham and Cheese Panini, Keto Ham and Cheese Panini