I didn’t mean to make today’s recipe at all.
I kind of stumbled upon it while I was trying to make something else.
I was trying to make this spectacular looking Greek dessert called Šampita that I found on Greek Goes Keto. It’s this impressively tall meringue on top of a thin cake base. But I must admit, the Šampita was beyond me. I tried to make it twice, used up 2 dozen eggs, and had it flop twice.
It wasn’t pretty.
But both times, the cake base turned out amazing.
The texture reminded me of a Middle Eastern semolina honey cake. So that’s exactly what I made next. I took a deep breath and got out a dozen more eggs. This time around, I made the cake twice as tall and covered it with sliced almonds. Then I whipped up a simple sugar-free syrup to use in place of honey. And it worked! I had a delicious Middle Eastern honey cake with only 2g net carbs per slice.
Sweet victory from the jaws of Šampita defeat!
Low Carb Keto Middle Eastern Honey Cake
This Low Carb Keto Middle Eastern Honey Cake is based on a semolina honey cake. It’s sweet and moist and very delicious.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 9 slices
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- 11 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 12 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons Swerve or equivalent granulated sweetener
- 1/3 cup Sugar Free Pancake Syrup
- 1/4 cup water
1. Preheat oven to 340 degrees F and line an 8 x 8 inch pan with parchment paper.
2. In a small microwave safe bowl, microwave butter until melted, about 90 seconds.
3. Separate the eggs. Store the egg whites for another use like meringue cookies.
4. Using an electric hand mixer, beat egg yolks with cake sweetener, baking soda, coconut flour, vanilla and water. Slowly add melted butter as you continue to beat the batter mixture. Mix until well combined.
5. Pour the batter into the baking pan and carefully sprinkle sliced almonds so that they rest on the surface of the batter.
6. Bake for 18-20 minutes until browned and solid in the middle.
7. While the cake is baking, make the syrup. Combine sweetener, pancake syrup and water in a small sauce pan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve the sweetener. Lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
8. When the cake is done baking, remove it from the oven and poke holes in the cake with a wooden skewer. The holes should be about 1 inch apart.
9. Pour the syrup onto the cake and allow to cool for 20 minutes.
10. Carefully remove the cake using the edges of the parchment paper. Place on a serving plate and cut into 9 slices.
- Calories: 226
- Fat: 22
- Carbohydrates: 3
- Fiber: 0
- Protein: 1
Keywords: Low Carb Honey Cake, Keto Honey Cake
You’ll need these specialty ingredients: